Sunday, March 4, 2012

An Impromptu Sewing Day


Only eight more needed!
I had great plans on what I was going to sew yesterday afternoon but instead I decided that I needed something easy and mindless to work on. I chose to work on some crumb blocks. My bins of strings and crumbs have been weighing on my mind and I really need to get cracking and use them. If I don't, and I keep saving all of the bits and pieces, my sewing room is going to be overtaken by them!! I already had 20 - 6.5" crumb blocks made and I wanted more to make a quilt that I will donate to Project Linus. I ended up making 20 more and they did take a fair amount of time but hardly made a dent in the piles of scraps. The suggested size for a child's quilt is 40" x 60" so I need to make 8 more blocks. By the time I add the sashing it should be close enough to finishing to that size.
Twenty new blocks.

Crumb blocks really do look very sketchy before trimming but they end up looking pretty good once the raggedy edges are removed. I should have taken a picture prior to trimming but I didn't think of it beforehand. They are very messy to make but I think well worth the effort. For future crumb quilts I will make the blocks smaller because I would prefer using smaller crumb pieces as much as possible. Even with these relatively small blocks I needed to use a lot of bigger string pieces by the time I got to the outer edges of the block. I am not too sure what colour I will use for the sashing - there is a lot of pink in these blocks so it will be a quilt for a girl.

9 comments:

Christine L said...

What a great idea to use up the scraps! I am sure whomever gets the quilt is going to love it!

Jeanne said...

Great way to bust those scraps that keep multiplying while we sleep!

blauraute said...

Dear Ellen,
it's great to use scraps for a quilt. I only can say, you sew and quilt faster than I can write a comment. The pink blocks are beautiful.
I hope you've a nice weekend.
Take care
Roswitha

Judiquilts said...

Ellen, they are so colourful and cheery. I'm now into the swing of things and cutting strips from the leftover offcuts and filing away, but don't save the smaller crumbs. How do you store them? In one container or by colour?

Deborah said...

I enjoy making crumb blocks. And your idea of a donation quilt from these is wonderful!

Quilter Kathy said...

It can be very relaxing sewing crumbs...very zen like. Great blocks!

Edith said...

Ellen, This is one of my favorite blocks/quilts to work on, I keep trying to bust my stash and it keeps growing. I find working on the crumb brings back many memories, from all the quilts that the original piece of fabric went into. Yours is looking good.

Cheryl said...

Oh I just love these blocks! They remind me of a stain glass window! Love the fabulous color of these blocks! Love Sis

Shannyn said...

Ooh I love yours! And I really liked the "mindless sewing" cuz that's exactly what I think of it too...sometimes there's simply too much to do so....heh. I learned the hard way when I did this that YES the blocks MUST be trimmed down to the same sizes....otherwise makes for some tricky & patience filled sashing. I chose a nice turquoise for my sashing and trim for mine; it seems like that's a colour that blends well with most anything! Great job, can't wait to see it done!