Friday, March 16, 2012

Earthtones - When Reality Hits

Second batch made....almost done!
These blocks are really starting to come together although I still have not made enough yet. When I was constructing this last batch of blocks I had two stacks laid out on my sewing table - one for 4-patches and one for 16-patches. After sewing many of them together, I grabbed a 4-patch and went to add a 16-patch to it and I didn't have any left.

Are these extra??? Nope...still have lot of blocks to make!
My first thought (hope) was that I had made way too many 4-patches and that I would have extra to go into a parts bin for another quilt. Well, after I sewed all of the blocks together and I took a tally I realized that I am really short in the 16-patch department! After doing some calculations, I know where I went wrong and that was when I made up the twosies to turn into the 16-patches. I had 748 pieces in my mind and that is how many twosies I made. The reality is that I actually needed many more than what I had made!! I looked back at this previous post and got a refresher on where I had left off with this project. Blogging sure does help with keeping accurate records of each project I work on. The only change I am going to make is that I will be making it 10 x 12 instead of 10 x 13 and that will have the quilt finish at 80" x 96" - I think that is big enough. So, I have added this batch of 47 blocks to the 32 that I had previously made and I still need to make 41 more. Well, the good news is that I have enough 4" 4-patches made.....

Happy birthday to my youngest son, Eric. He turns 22 today!! When Eric was born my husband and I were thinking that we might want a third child and we decided that on Eric's first birthday we would make our decision.  Eric was and still is a joy but as he was attacking his first birthday cake my husband and I both looked at each other and said "uhn uhh" no more. Eric was quite the handful right from birth - a real go-getter - he pulled himself up into a standing position 10 days after he turned 6 months old and started walking on his own when he was 8 months old (as did his older brother Adam). Eric has turned into a wonderful young man and we couldn't be prouder!

6 comments:

Jan-Maree said...

I am really liking this quilt and I loved the story of Erik - all the best for his birthday

vtquilter said...

That quilt is looking great! Love the story of your son's first year and happy birthday to him.

Deborah said...

It all sounds so daunting to me! Beautiful! And Happy Birthday to Erik!

I Quilt for Fun said...

Love this quilt!

Jan

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Happy Birthday to Erik! You have two amazing sons! Definitely blessed! Your quilt is gorgeous, i really like the quilts you make with the earthtone colours! Love sis

Sandra said...

This is going to turn out beautiful...I love it!