Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Dear Jane - Courtney's Stethoscope (A-4)

This little block looks so sweet and innocent, doesn't it? Looks can definitely be deceiving! Well, what can I say about this little charmer. I certainly had some lessons learned with this one. I have to admit that most of the issues were my problem..okay...all of the issues were my problem.




Things started off great - I followed the usual process of making my little template pieces and I started sewing them together. This is where I faced my first little challenge. You see that little cross piece in the center, on my first try I did not pay close attention to the alignment when I pieced it together and my cross had a crook in it. So, I decided to rip it out and resew it. That is when I realized that I have been a little careless with my 1/4" seams and they have been getting narrower and narrower. When I removed the stitching, the brown strip really started shredding so I had to make a replacement piece. That went fine and I was able to match up my cross "good enough" and I learned that even though the pieces are very tiny I still need to be really careful with the seam allowances. I am not quick at sewing these blocks together - it does seem to take me a very long time to get each block done, so, when I finally added the last piece I was very happy.

As I admired the finished block, I had a thought that I should trim it so that the seam allowances would be a little more even looking - remember I have been eyeballing the 1/4" seam allowances so they really are not accurate. I proceeded to trim the block and I trimmed 3 sides before I realized that I had actually trimmed them to the sewing line and I had cut off the seam allowances. Now, how dumb was that??? uuummm the question is actually rhetorical! You can't believe how unhappy I was with myself. I just left it as it was and took a bath - a nice long hot soak. When I got back at it I removed the little edge pieces, recut them and sewed them on and now it looks so much better! Now that I have confessed my ineptitude I guess it I feel like I have "come clean". 


See how I trimmed it...

What have I done to my poor block!



6 comments:

Kelli said...

This is why I haven't done any DJ blocks.. I think I would go mad! But I am sure enjoying watching yours take shape! :o) Great save. I'm glad you're clean. lol
xo

scraphappy said...

Beautiful block. It did give you a bit of grief, but it turned out great in the end. I am finding little blocks to be true skill builders. Think of all you have learned already!

Jan-Maree said...

if you survive making this quilt I think you will have either learned a lot of swear words or learned a lot about yourself - good luck!

Linda said...

Your block turned out just lovely. I'm getting ready to start a Dear Jane. Well, I'm still in the thinking stage. I just received the EQ software a couple of weeks ago and it's sitting there daring me to get it installed. You have encouraged me a lot.

Josie said...

Sorry Ellen but I had to have a giggle at your expense. You and I must be twins when it comes to screwing up and spending more time fixing than sewing! ;o)) Great result though... you block is gorgeous. Love your fabric choice. And you get triple admiration points from me for hand sewing. I'm still mechanised!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love the little memories that you are making! Isn't it wonderful that when we confess our little inadequacies we can then have a great giggle about it! Love this little block. Nice brown fabric that you chose! Love sis