Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sapphire Bay (Orca Bay) is a Quilt!

My husband thinks it has a Native American look about it!
Saturday was such a snowy day and I was supposed to be running errands but I just did not want to drive in it so I ended up spending the whole morning sewing the binding on Sapphire Bay instead. Sapphire Bay had to wait it's turn to get worked on and I am so happy with the way it has turned out. Definitely well worth the wait! I think it is another stunning design from Bonnie Hunter that she has so generously made available to everyone. This mystery was so much fun because with the added weekly link-up it kept me on my toes. It was great fun to be able to see how other quilters were coming along with their quilts and to see so many different versions was fabulous to say the least. I am already looking forward to next year's mystery quilt-along!

Sapphire Bay finished at approx. 74.5" x 84" and is quilted with white thread in a free-motion quilting motif that I designed myself. The backing is a red on white, small scale leafy-flower print and I have bound it in solid black. When I first selected the backing fabric I thought it might be just a bit over-the-top with red but it does look good.  I love this quilt and happily it will be staying with me!

14 comments:

Christine L said...

I agree with your DH. It does have a native look to it..but that's appropriate too with the ORCA pattern..... :) LOVE IT! Congrats on a great job!

Cathy said...

The quilting looks great, and the backing is perfect for it. Congrats on the finish. Snowstorms are good for one thing, at least.

Kelli said...

That turned out to be so gorgeous Ellen!! It does have a Native Amer. feel to it, I just love all of the tiny pieces. And the backing is perfect! xo

Jan-Maree said...

love, love it - you have done such a great job - the colours loo great!

Linda said...

Awesome! Congrats on a great finish. Love your quilting design.

Kylie Lloyd said...

Ellen your Sapphire Bay is stunning. What a beautiful quilt to keep with you. You are right about Bonnie. She outdoes herself with her patterns. They are amazing.

Susan said...

Your mystery quilt looks beautiful! I am happy for you that it is finished.

Michelle said...

Oh, Ellen your quilt is stunning.

soscrappy said...

Congratulations! What a huge accomplishment. Looks great, you must be feeling quite relieved right now to be able to call it done.

Deborah said...

I have such deep admiration for anyone who completes one of Bonnie's quilts and your Orca is just amazing. I scrolled through your blog and love your work. Deborah

vtquilter said...

You did a wonderful job finishing this quilt so quickly! It came out beautiful and I just love your quilting motif. I hope it brings a smile every time you look at it!

Connie said...

How beautiful! Now I feel guilty that I haven't quilted mine yet! It actually does have a Native American look!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

i agree it really does have that Native American feel! It is truly a beautiful quilt!

Sandra said...

Really beautiful!