Sunday, February 5, 2012

Quilting Design for Orca Bay


First Version

Second Version

 Last night I woke up before 3 am and couldn't go back to sleep so I got up and worked on a quilting design for Orca Bay (still no name). I knew that I wanted to do something with waves and I was trying to envision what waves might look like as they crashed/rolled onto the shore. I also wanted them to be able to fit in a space of about 4" high so I started to doodle and this is what I came up with. I am not too sure I actually captured the look of rolling and crashing waves but I am happy with what I came up with. Isn't this child's drawing toy great - my husband gave it to me for Christmas - I do wish it was just a bit bigger - my second row of motifs is a little squished. My first rendition used three pointy bits as the connecting lines and I liked it but after playing with it a bit I decided that I liked this second version better - it looks more "water spouty"...I made that phrase up. Now, believe me, I am no artist and I couldn't really draw to save my life but I somehow managed to do this without too much difficulty. I will be free-motion quilting this design so it will be quite amazing if it actually ends up looking like my drawing and it will be even more amazing if it looks good on the quilt!

Once I got the design done, I didn't want to make too much noise in the house - it was still pretty early and my husband and son were sleeping so I searched out the fabric that I will use for the backing. I found something that would work but it needed a good ironing so I took care of that without disturbing anyone. Now I just need to sew the two pieces together and straighten/trim it to size and then I can start my quilting process. For some reason I am getting quite excited about this quilt and I am very glad for that!

4 comments:

vtquilter said...

I think that is going to look great as the quilting on your Ocra Bay quilt! Nice hubby to get you that for xmas for your quilting designs. I've heard of using a white board and dry erase markers but this is the first use of one of these guys I've seen. I used to love the etch a sketch.

Cheryl said...

Ellen i think it looks great! The pattern is so light and flows along! Love it!

Jan-Maree said...

I like the secon dversion best too - this is going to look great and if all the waves don't look the same that is okay coz they dont in real life either!

Quilter Kathy said...

That's a great idea of something to do when we can't sleep at night....I'll have to remember that! I really like the second design!