Friday, February 3, 2012

Orca Bay is a Flimsy

Okay, I have to admit that I am really liking this quilt top - thank goodness! Now that the borders are on I think they calm the turmoil quite a bit and they do give a place for my eyes to rest. My sister Cheryl pointed out that the blue really shows up and I have to agree that it gives the top a nice sparkle. I had absolutely no trouble adding the borders, however, I did use spray starch to press the top before adding them and I don't normally do that. I think it did help make things lay flatter and made the edges a bit less stretchy. For the inner border I used a fabric that reads as solid but it is a pale cream with little white motifs on it. I still have to decide what to use for the backing and once I get it made I will get at the quilting. Because of the string blocks there are quite a few "bumps" to deal with when quilting so I want something simple - I was thinking something that looked like waves or maybe just wavy lines - not too sure. I don't have a name for my version of Orca Bay yet but I am hoping that my name for this quilt shows up soon!!

12 comments:

Jan-Maree said...

It really does sparkle and is perfect for a Little Jewel Blog. What about Sparkle Bay for a name - Love the quilt - really special!

Kylie Lloyd said...

I'm in love with your Orca Bay quilt. It is stunning. Bonnie is amazing with her designs. It makes me want to make one too. But I'm sitting on my hands. Too many other things to get done first.

Kathy said...

Ellen, What a remarkable quilt you have sewn! I bet you are really pleased with it. I agree that a simple quilting design would be just what it needs. Congratulations on the finish of this stunning top.

Crispy said...

A great quilt Ellen!! I love how the blue makes it sparkle too :0)

Crispy

Judiquilts said...

Ellen, congratulations! I wasn't going to add the borders on mine, but seeing yours looking so great, I should make the effort. Best wishes.

Quilter Kathy said...

Congratulations! It really is amazing!

Béa said...

I agree, your quilt is really successful, and all these tiny pieces call for a very simple quilting (have you see what was made on mine ? ). XO

Christine L said...

Beautiful Job.. How about Sparkle by the Bay?

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Love the sparkle names coming up! Sparkle led me to come up with sapphire! I guess we will have to wait to see what your heart calls her! Your quilt really is beautiful! Love it! sis

vtquilter said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

...Ellen you are a Picasso quilter it is another beautiful quilt ... and sparkle it does !!! what an intricate work of art ...

xo Glenda

Candace said...

It does sparkle, and it is beautiful.