Saturday, February 25, 2012

Midget Blocks - #51

Call me crazy but I decided the time was right for me to start working on these cute little blocks. They will finish at 4.5" and I plan to make them by machine, paper-piecing and also by hand. I had been seeing these blocks on soscrappy's blog as well as vtquilter's blog and they are so cute! The patterns can be found at Sentimental Stitches but unfortunately I missed out on the first 50 that were available for free (they are available for purchase). So, I have started with #51 and over time I will draft my own first 50 using EQ7. I am pretty sure that EQ7 will have many of the common blocks and the rest I will just figure out/make my own blocks up. I do hope to make one of these little blocks each week and maybe after a couple years I will end up with a gorgeous quilt made from these sweet blocks.

I paper-pieced this block - called Friendship and there are 31 pieces. It came together fairly easily and took just a bit of time. It is hard to see the green fabric that I chose so this is a better look at a larger piece. These little blocks are a great way to use up scraps so I plan to link-up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge whenever possible.

11 comments:

vtquilter said...

Your block came out great! So glad you jumped in and are joining the challenge. Now... how about those JL blocks in blue.....

Jan-Maree said...

Love your block - don't think I will be following you on this one though!

Sheila said...

Several of you Rainbow Challenge guys are making these cute little squares. Awesome!
As I'm all thumbs, I'll enjoy watching you all make these cuties.

soscrappy said...

Congratulations on your first midget block. I am sure you will find the patterns easy enough to reconstruct when you run out of the free ones. I have so enjoyed sewing these little cuties and having others join in makes I ecpven more festive.

Connie said...

What a sweet little block! You will end up with a beautiful quilt and I know you can figure out the other blocks with EQ7!

Elly D said...

Great block and great idea to link one challenge with another! I'll pass on the midget blocks though since I'm doing the Dear Jane project... but I could try to link that up with the monthly colours where possible. ;) Elly

Cathy Tomm said...

Great midget block. I missed the first 50 too. I printed off the next 50 but have not started yet.

Edith said...

Very nice, looking forward to the finished quilt, my friend did something similar and it was spectacular.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

This block is so cute! Your so brave to be doing these little pieces. Love sis

Rhonda G said...

REally a cute block.

Scrappy quilter said...

Lovely little block.