Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dear Jane - One, Two Buckle My Shoe (A-2)


This little block turned out so darned cute and it's lucky it did because it took me a long time to sew it together. I decided to time how long it would take for me to sew it together in a relaxed manner and it took me just over 2.5 hours. Now that does include the little bit of extra time it took me to unsew and fix the section that I had added incorrectly...grrr. All is well that ends well and I think it ended perfectly!

Before I could get to sewing it I needed to do my prep work. I had already traced the pattern for this block onto freezer paper so my block template was ready for cutting and ironing onto my fabric pieces. Once I did that I just traced around each piece with my mechanical pencil and then cut them all out making sure to leave enough fabric around the pieces for my seam allowance.

After I cut them out I had a major oh-oh moment and then a light bulb went on....I really do need to mark each template piece and the corresponding pieces in the block pattern for placement position. Yikes...I needed to get this pile of 40 teeny, tiny pieces into the correct arrangement.

I did manage to get it all sorted out and I set it on the table in the correct order for sewing and hoped no-one would come along and mess it all up.

I can see that this project is going to take me quite a long time to complete. I hope to make at least one block per week. The block coming up for next week is a little bit scary for me because it requires applique and that is something totally new for me!

13 comments:

vtquilter said...

Great job on that block. It came out wonderful. Hey, if I can figure out applique you can too! Good luck. There was a great tutorial on Connecting Threads on how to do the applique.

Jan-Maree said...

I o love this block - there is no way i will ever try it myself

Kelli said...

I LOVE Dear Jane, and am going to enjoy watching yours come together. :o) This block is adorable, and I'm glad you sorted out all those pieces, they look so tiny!! xo

Michelle said...

Wow Ellen that's a great way to piece the Dear Jane blocks.
I must remember when I get around to starting mine.
I have no idea when that may be. Lol.
Now, I hope you don't mind, but I am giving you the Liebster Blog Award.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Your dear Jane block is really cute! I love the colour and fabric choice. I do not know if i could ever take a project like this on but i would really like to have a Dear Jane Quilt! So we will have to wait and see! Love sis

Mary said...

Your block turned out really well. I think you will pick up speed as you do more blocks. I've found that I spend as much time planning for a block's construction as I do in actually making it.

Josie said...

Your block looks fab! You are so organised laying out the pieces like that. I've been doing mine by machine but I really think that handpiecing is the way to go... especially now I've seen yours.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Dear Jane is a beautiful quilt....I hand quilted one a few months ago..very tedious to quilt; but beautiful finished..lots of work

Mary Ann said...

Wow ...what a lot of work but it will be lovely when it's finished.

Connie said...

What a great block....with lots of teeny tiny pieces! Beautiful!

soscrappy said...

Lovely second block. Some quilts are done in a day, but some are all about the journey. One block a week is a great goal! So far so good!

Sheila said...

Love your block!! Am also maiking Dear Jane blocks. So fun

Grandma Coco said...

This must be a real labour of love. Nice job!