Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Dear Jane and Visiting an "Icon"

My husband gave me this book for Christmas...and now my journey begins!
Yesterday, my sister Cheryl and I drove to Tillsonburg (after an unplanned detour to Pickering - I will save my sister the embarrassment by laying blame squarely on the car for travelling east instead of west - okay now that was really funny and we laughed for a long time and as a matter of fact I am still laughing - sorry Cheryl) to visit with our aunt Iris and to also pick up some much needed supplies from the local quilt shop. Our first stop in town was to visit the quilt shop and while we were there we casually asked the shop owner if she might know our aunt. I know that sounds weird but it is an area of smaller towns and my aunt is a quilter. So, when we said our aunt was Iris Morgan she just looked at us and said that she was a very well-known local quilter and that she had won many awards and that she was an "icon". My sister and I had no idea.

We had such a lovely visit with our aunt, we looked at photographs of quilts that she had made and we also got to see the latest quilt that she is working on - really lovely. We had such a nice visit and talked about many things and one of those things we discovered is that she did not start quilting until well into her later years. We are younger than when my aunt started quilting so my sister jokingly said that maybe because we were starting so much earlier that we could potentially become icons too! Well that started the laughing!!! I told her that I was starting my Dear Jane quilt journey and she showed me a photo of the one she had made. I would have loved to have seen it in person but sadly she no longer has it. I do know that from looking at the photographs that she has made many, many gorgeous quilts and someday I just might find one. I would have loved to have shown a photo of my aunt but darned if I didn't have my camera with me. Next time...

5 comments:

Sue said...

lol Your sister is not the only one who has a horrible sense of direction.....Mine is so bad that people ask if I am getting it wrong on purpose!

Anonymous said...

HI Ellen ...I am so glad you and Cheryl had such a great trip and a wonderful visit with aunt Iris...I think she must be very proud to know that there are members of the family to continue on with hers, and grandmas', traditions and passions
.... xo glenda

Cathy said...

We used to get our directions messed up quite a bit when to kids were young, and we were going on a trip. Our son used to ask if we were lost, and I'd tell him, nope, we were just going on an adventure. For some strange reason, he didn't believe me........... Sounds like you had a fun day, and especially the trip to a fabric store. I didn't know there was one in Tillsonberg.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

In defense of the driver and the car - "Who was the navigator that day" hmmm! Well we may have ended up in Pickering but we laughed all the way Tillsonburg and home again! Another wonderful day with my dear sister!

Jan-Maree said...

You sisters are so lucky to be able to share such days together - cherish - my sisters live too far away but even if they lived closer there is no way - they are just too busy! And how lucky to have such a wonderful family quilting heritage! Lucky girls.