Thursday, February 2, 2012

Building My Little Houses - January

I finally have some progress to show on the little houses that have been popping up in my little neighbourhood! I am calling them January blocks even though I didn't finish them until this morning. I figure if I do about 10 per month by the end of the year I should have enough to make a quilt. If I find I need to make a few more each month it really won't be a problem to make them. I found the first couple took me quite a while to figure out - I had never done inset seams before - but now I am really sewing them together quite quickly. I think it takes me more time to press the pieces than it does to actually sew the block. I decided to build my houses a little bit bigger and they will finish at 6" in all their scrappy glory. Hop on over to the Building Houses from Scrap site (the link is in my sidebar) to see more of these little houses - they are being created all over the world!

Something else that is new to me is I am finally using the vintage Singer 301a sewing machine that I bought several months ago (I also bought a 401a at the same time but haven't used it yet). The stitches look pretty good and I am able to keep my 1/4" seam allowance much better than with my Janome 6600. I think it is somewhat loud when I use it but the person I purchased it from warned me about that. He said that the more I use it the better it will sound and the faster it will go ...I don't know....it goes pretty fast already. He had oiled and lubed it but it had been hanging around somewhere unloved for a long time and the oil and lube just need to get worked into it. I am hoping to use it for many of my future quilts...I think about the original owner and how happy she would have been to receive this fabulous sewing machine.

11 comments:

Annemieke Price-Talen said...

Your houses are very nice and the colors are so sunny.

Jeanne said...

Wonderful houses. I think ten a month is a very do-able amount. I have one. LOL

Susan said...

I learned to sew on a 301 but my mom doesn't have it anymore. I bought one a year or so ago to have as an extra machine and love it. Glad you are enjoying yours!

blauraute said...

Igt's wanoderful to see your January houses. I like the red doors. I hope during February I can show you a lot of houses with red doors and red roofs. I hope there will be a few days with 48 hours.
It's very interesting to hear about your "new" sewing machines. My favorite sewing machine is a Brother compal ace, which I bought 20 years ago.
Have a nice weekend and take care.
Roswitha

Jan-Maree said...

Love those houses - they just get better the more you make them!

Cheryl said...

Ellen

I love your little houses with the red door! They are just so cute! Deanna and i were trying to sew some blocks together with our 401 sewing machine. love sis

Judiquilts said...

Ellen, they are just so cute! I'm very tempted to join . . . but it's only February and I'm already in too deep with quiltalongs!
Regards,

Kelli said...

Loving your neighborhood Ellen!! :o) And I love the sewing machine story. I hope it works well for you. xo

Angie said...

Love the houses! I've looked back at several of your last posts and really enjoyed them! See you around the Scrappy Challenge.

Connie said...

What great houses, this is going to be a neat quilt when done! I think you will find yourself really loving sewing with a Vintage machine! I think they are always a little louder than new machines but you will get used to it!

vtquilter said...

I love those little houses. I may have to try some this year sometime.