Sunday, January 1, 2012

Roll Roll Cotton Boll is Finished!

First off, I would like to wish you all a wonderful, happy New Year! I could write something like - may all of your resolutions stick and that you achieve all of your goals and dreams, etc., but instead I really do just wish that you find happiness and joy in whatever you do for this new year.

I am so excited - I finished Roll Roll Cotton Boll last night and it has a new name. I have called it Pavlova. When I was in the early stages of making this quilt, my sister Cheryl thought it looked like it had an eastern European feel to it and it stuck with me throughout. When I was trying to decide it's name I just kept thinking that the neutral blocks could be snowballs, or marshmallows or....meringue and the reds/pinks looked just like they could be berries decorating it. Put that together with the eastern European influence and I got the name. The dessert Pavlova was originally created for Anna Pavlova, a Russian ballet dancer.

Molly loves Pavlova too!

I love this quilt and it will definitely be staying with me - I even used it on my bed last night. It is quilted in a meandering design using beige thread and bound with a dark brown fabric that has a tone-on-tone pattern. This quilt finished at 84" x 98.5" and was designed by Bonnie Hunter for her 2010 Mystery Quilt. All I can say is a big Thank You Bonnie!

12 comments:

Brenda said...

That is one nice looking quilt.

I did not do this mystery, but it sure is a nice project.

And I love your model!! Makes the quilt look even more inviting!!!

Jan-Maree said...

Hi Ellen, The quilt is just gorgeous - you should be so proud of all that work - it was well worth it. I have to laugh at the name. yes, the pavlova was named after Anna Pavlov but that is as far as its European influence goes. The desert was created in the kitchens of the Parmelia Hilton Hotel in Perth Western Australia my hometown when I was a kid. The New Zealanders do try to claim it as their desert but they are just jealous! Whatever the history behind the name, the quilt is GORGEOUS!!!

vtquilter said...

Beautiful quilt and great job on the finish!

Linda said...

Great finish! Awesome job. I still have to quilt mine.

Cathy Tomm said...

Beautiful. I have been sewing up a storm too. I may have to start this one. I love it. I printed out the pattern last year.

Quilter Kathy said...

Congratulations on a spectacular quilt! I just love it! How great to start out the year with a gorgeous finished quilt!

I Quilt for Fun said...

Congrats on your finish. Mine is in a tote under my sewing table staring at me every time I start a new project. It's on my "list" for 2012....Jan

Cheryl said...

Ellen

Pavlova is absolutely gorgeous! The computer does not even come close to showing the beautiful colours in this quilt. I hope she keeps you nice and cozy on these cold winter nights! Sweet Dreams dear sister!

Connie said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish! Because of you showing yours I dug my blocks out and have been working on mine. Somewhere along the line I must not have done all the pieces so mine will be 2 rows short but at least I hope to finish it. Great work Ellen!

Amy (lilme2_99) said...

A Beautiful name for a beautiful quilt. What an amazing heirloom to cherish!

Candace said...

Your RRCB is beautiful and I love the name. I made I think 18 quilts last year and only kept 2. My RRCB is one that I kept. I made mine smaller and am making another small one with the leftovers, hope it turns out as pretty as yours.

The Cozy Quilter said...

A beautiful quilt and a real accomplishment to finish it! I just have to put my pieced borders on and then my top is done.