Saturday, January 14, 2012

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Red-Week 2


Practice placemat ready for basting & quilting.
Oops I am doing it again! I am getting a little too enthusiastic and making such grand plans about making sets of different blocks each week in the chosen colour. I got all carried away this week and I spent time looking through my copy of the The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns and picked out some really great blocks that I thought would make fantastic scrappy rainbow quilts. Today, after taking a step back, giving myself a shake and taking a deep breath I realized that I have to reign in my enthusiasm a bit. I had to ask myself...how many rainbow quilts do I really want at the end of the year? Realistically only one should be enough and it will allow me to use up some scraps and I will have a gorgeous quilt at the end of the year to commemorate the challenge. So, here I am back where I started and that is to make one rainbow quilt from my scrappy 9-patch blocks and to possibly make some string blocks as well. I also plan to make at least one placemat (more if I have enough scraps) each month and I will use it to practice my free-motion quilting on. Somehow, making the time to practice quilting has been a challenge for me. I don't normally make a lot of small projects and I don't necessarily want to "practice" my quilting on a large quilt so the placemats will be a perfect way to achieve both goals. I use placemats at my kitchen table every day so these practice pieces will get used and when they get dirty or stained I won't feel so bad. If you stop by Angela's blog - SoScrappy you can check out what other participants are working on.

17 comments:

Jan-Maree said...

Good thinking Ellen, It is so easy to get carried away. I think you have a great plan. Love the placemat!

vtquilter said...

I think you have a great plan for the year. I may have to steal the placemat one!

scraphappy said...

I love your placemat idea. I'm in the same boat, trying to resit the urge to start a different quilt every weekend. I have some red crumb blocks that would make a great start.

Kelli said...

I love your red placemat! I'm gonna enjoy watching these rainbow scraps come together. :o)

Angie said...

Great scrap-challenge idea!

Linda said...

Love your placemat. Great idea. I am considering starting this challenge. I really shouldn't, but it is so tempting.

Cathy Tomm said...

Love this first place mat. It will be a great idea. As you say if one is dirty or stained down the road no one will know it is missing. And so much you can do as each could be different.

Leah said...

Great scrappy project. Great job not getting carried away

Peg said...

What a lovely block - and placemats, such a great way to use up scraps!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Its about time you retired those brown place-mats (haha). Looking forward to seeing new ones on the table when i next visit. Great idea! Love sis

Gmama Jane said...

Hello Ellen! I'm a new follower via Count it *all* Joy and the rainbow quilt challenge. I'm like you in that I get gung-ho and find I've over-committed myself to quilting projects. I just love quilting SEW much and every project looks like the perfect one. I retired in Dec. 08 from teaching and I stay home now to keep my youngest grandson and Quilt...My two loves! I love your plan and hope you'll come visit me at my blog. http://grandmamasstories.blogspot.com
Blessings
Gmama Jane
P.S. May I strongly suggest you check out the BEST quilting blog, Sew We Quilt!! Madame Samm is the administrator and she has grown the blog from 700 followers to over 4,000 in a little over 1 year. It's the place to go for tutorials and to meet the best quilting folks around. I noticed it wasn't on your list of blogs that you follow so I thought I would tell you about it.

Scrappy quilter said...

Love it!1

Sarah said...

What a great idea! Its a bit addictive isn't it? Ive made two squares in red and want to carry on, but like you I'm trying not to get too carried away!

Michelle @ Periwinkle said...

Hi Ellen, I smiled when I read your description of wanting to try all sorts of different blocks. Isn't it easy to get inspired when you start looking at different block designs? I'm like you, I want to try it all! I'm going to click on your Rainbow Scrap Challenge button to find out more about the project... Have a great week.. Michelle

Susan said...

Placemats are a great idea! Using colorful scraps but not getting too carried away.

Connie said...

Love your placemat! That is a great idea to make them to practice FMQing stitches! I made quite a few last year but like you, we use them all the time and they get worn. I might have to do this as I don't like practicing on just scraps.

Angelina Kendra said...

Great idea to use placemats as small ways to practice FMQ! I think I'll cut some triangles this weekend to work on piecing precision too.