Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Orca Bay Progress Update

I finally finished putting this quilt top together - all I need to do to complete the top is to add the borders and since I already have the border blocks made it won't take me too long. It was quite a challenge for me to piece this top together. Firstly, I had a lot of trouble with matching the points up and I have lost a few, but really, that doesn't bother me too much. Secondly, and more importantly, as I was putting the top together I wasn't too sure if I liked the fabrics/colours that I have used.  The problem may have been that it was just sitting on my design wall in bits and pieces for so long and it is such a bold looking top. I found it to be quite jarring every time I looked at it on the wall. As I wrote in my last post, I seemed to have lost my mojo for the past week or so but things are looking up now. I am not sleeping well so it doesn't help that I am really overtired and that can really affect my perspective! Now that the top is almost all sewn together I think that I do like it a little more but it still looks very chaotic to me.  Once the borders are added and the magic of quilting happens it will change its appearance again and it will become that wonderful thing called a quilt!

7 comments:

Cathy said...

It is wonderful!!! And sometimes chaotic is fun. Some nice Baptist fans might tone it down some. At least, that is what mine is going to get, whenever I get it done.

Jan-Maree said...

it is very busy but I still love it! You have done a great job and it is so busy - who is going to see a few missed points - LOVE IT!

Judiquilts said...

Ellen, it looks great. I stuck to Bonnie's colours too and yes it is very busy and seems to blend like a watercolour quilt. Crazy to thing to say, I know, when you've got the contrasting blacks and whites! You are not alone with the points. Quite a few of mine of dodgy, but it's hard to tell with all the busyness.

Regards from the southern hemisphere

Quilter Kathy said...

This is a busy pattern for sure, but I'm sure when you are feeling more rested, and the quilt is finished, you will fall in love with it anew!

Cathy Tomm said...

That a big one to finish. I have sewn lots this last three weeks but have not been doing my orca bay. I have not been feeling great and that one needs my full attention to work on it. Good to see you were able to get it done. The rest will go like a breeze. It looks good too.

blauraute said...

You have done a great job. It looks gorgeous. I can't see any problems, I love it.
Have a nice day and take care
Roswitha

Cheryl said...

Ellen this quilt looks wonderful. The blue is popping through the darker reds and black! I think you have another beauty on your hands! love sis