Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Leftovers is Quilted!

Leftovers is quilted!
Yesterday, in preparation for quilting Leftovers, I cleaned and oiled my Janome 1600 so I would have a fresh start with this quilt. This is the third quilt to be quilted on my frame and I wanted it to go a lot smoother than when I quilted Pavlova (RRCB). I had so much trouble quilting that quilt and I felt a lot of frustration! I thought I was finished cleaning the machine and I was just about to close everything up when I caught a glimpse of something deep inside. At first I thought it wasn't really anything other than some part of the machine but I got my trusty tweezers out and low and behold it was a piece of thread. When I gave it a little tug it loosened up a bit and I was able to see that it was a couple inches long but it was caught in the hook race somehow. I tried to take the feed dogs off to access it but I couldn't undo the screws so I had to wait for my husband to get home so he could help. Between the two of us after 15 mins or so we were able to get the thread out.
This thread caused me a lot of trouble!
This piece of thread is 10" long - it was even longer but pieces broke off as we were tugging at it. No wonder I had so many problems quilting Pavlova!! Quilting Leftovers definitely went a lot smoother ...whew! I don't have the binding made so that is on for tomorrow as well as getting it sewn to the front by machine. I don't need this quilt finished until Saturday so I will have plenty of time to hand stitch the binding and the label to the back.

9 comments:

Jan-Maree said...

so glad you found that pesky bit of thread and i am so excited for you that you finished quilting leftovers - bet you have a great sense of satisfaction! Well done! Can't wait to see the whole quilt!!!

vtquilter said...

Great job! Funny how such a little tiny thread can cause so much trouble. I cleaned out my machine a bit after the new year... what a difference in my sewing. Can't wait to see the completed quilt!

Susan said...

That was one troublesome piece of thread. Glad you had a better quilting experience after you got it out.

Kelli said...

Leftovers turned out so great! Glad you were able to get that little "thorn" out of your machine. Wow. This makes me think that my poor machine probably should get a tune-up. Hasn't ever had one. Yikes, what might I find in there?

blauraute said...

Your quilting looks great. I can't wait to see the whole quilt. It's terrible to have such a trouble.
Have a nice day and take care
Roswitha

Cathy Tomm said...

Wow that much thread. I too had a bad quilting - spent four hour trying to fix my long arm last week. It was very sticky glue from masking tape being ironed on the quilt. The tape was gone but the glue was still there. I did not know and sewed through the glue and gummed up my machine. Took hour to clean and realize what when wrong. Got it working and got the quilt done. Glad you got your working too. Quilting can go well when all is working.

Judiquilts said...

Thanks for that little piece of information. I'm now feeling guilty about the state of my machines!

Quilter Kathy said...

Excellent! So glad this was a better quilting experience!

Connie said...

Glad to hear you found that long piece of thread and now your machine is quilting better! Have fun!