Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Leftovers is a Flimsy!

My son is going to love this quilt - it really is made in a style that is right up his alley. He definitely likes the old-fashioned scrappy look. I can't wait to finish it and give it to him - so very exciting for me.

I did find a little oopsie as I was sewing the blocks together and I am glad I saw it before I put the whole top together. See the block in the bottom right - the 4 patches are turned the wrong way. The dark squares are aligned where the light ones should be. If I had the whole top finished I am not sure if I would have fixed it - it probably would have become an I Spy block. I decided to go with the layout as I had seen it and fell in love with on Lori from Humble Quilts blog. As I was laying out the blocks to sew them together I realized that if I made the layout 10 x 13 then the centre square would not be centred. So I have adjusted the layout to 10 x 12 and I think it looks great. Because of that there should be 15 extra blocks - if you remember I thought I made 5 extra. I cannot find those extra 5 blocks anywhere. When I took the photos of the groupings of blocks I must have included 5 of them twice - duh!

Over the next day or two I will make the backing and it will be pieced together in some way. The quilt is 80" wide so I cannot just use 2 fabric widths sewn together. I will use the extra 10 blocks, including the one that is pieced incorrectly on the back.

20 comments:

greelyrita said...

Isn't the 5 extra block thing annoying? I do stuff like that all the time and I drive myself crazy. Newly weakened math skills are usually the source.

I love your quilt!! Big congrats on a wonderful result!!

Peg said...

Looks fabulous! What a great way to use up scraps! And you know if you hadn't said anything, none of us would have known about the patches running the wrong way.

elle said...

As one Ellen to another, I have to tell you this is a great quilt. I'd have purposely left a wrong way block and I'd favour the asymmetrical look but this does look very smashing!

Dolores said...

It looks really good. It will be a nice backing to have the other blocks and the 'mistake' to look at.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

that is a very neat quilt...he will love it

Cathy said...

It looks WONDERFUL!! I want to do one of these sooooooo badly. But I've promised myself not to start anything new, until I get at least one of my WIPs or UFOs done.

Mary Ann said...

That is a wonderful quilt...I love the pattern you used.

Quilter Kathy said...

It's fabulous Ellen! I just love it and am sure your son will too!

Crispy said...

Yep, a perfect quilt for a guy (though this gal loves it too).

Crispy

Cathy Tomm said...

Your quilt has turned out great. I have considered making one like this a few years ago. I like the older looking fabrics you have used.

Jan-Maree said...

It is just gorgeous! Anyone would love it! And boy have you learned how to work with value! The lights and darks in this just hum! So lovely Ellen.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

This is an amazing quilt,and what a great use for the oldies - but still goodies - to get used and with such dramatic effect. Your son is going to love it.

Sheila said...

I love this quilt , wonderfully scrappy and a great design!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I just love this quilt! I want to make one of these too! Adam will just love it and he will love the name too. love sis

Susan said...

This is a terrific looking quilt. I want to use this pattern for my next leaders-enders quilt. thanks!

vtquilter said...

What a great looking quilt! I'm sure your son will just love it.... especially since you made it for him!

Connie said...

Wow is this beautiful Ellen! I can't believe what a difference it is seeing the whole thing together! I can see why your son loves it!

æble said...

Smashing indeed!

M-R said...

Wow, it's coming together beautifully! Love that scrappy goodness!

Carla said...

Love this design! Also, I like your hexagon quilt in your profile pic. I love hexies too.