Monday, January 9, 2012

Leftovers as a Main Course

70 Blocks

Plus 30 Blocks
Slow but steady progress has been made on my Leftovers quilt. I have spent most of my sewing time exclusively on this quilt for the last few days.



Plus The Last 35 Blocks = 135 Blocks Total
Oops - that's 5 too many - how in the world did I do that! All of the blocks were made in batches and I completed the last batch yesterday.  The next step is to make the actual quilt top by first laying out the blocks and then sewing them together. Somehow that is easier said than done. My design wall is too small to hold all of the blocks and, well, the design floor is too much of a temptation for a puppy!
Molly Enjoying Froggy and Leftovers
I will have to figure out another way to layout my blocks for sewing - I guess I will have to try my bed next.

10 comments:

greelyrita said...

Love this!! Scrappy quilts are so much fun! I sorted through all my scraps on the weekend, sorting them into strips, triangles and rectangles. I'm just not sure what to do now. The box is not quite a cubic foot. Perhaps I should wait until I have more. Do you just use them up as you create them? How did you decide what would work?

Cathy said...

I love this quilt!! How did you decide on which fabrics to use? Did you limit yourself, or just pick and choose.

Jan-Maree said...

Congrats on finishing all your blocks - and five extra. When i have a quilt that is huge and I have to lay out the blocks I sew them together in fours or nines first and then lay those out. With scrap quilts it always seems to work. good luck with the puppy!

Cheryll said...

Oh wow... this quilt will be fantastic I think. I went back over a few posts and ALL your quilts are wonderful. Keep up the great work on the red challenge too. :)

Connie said...

It looks beautiful and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with helpers! How cute!

Judiquilts said...

I like Jan-Maree's idea of sewing the blocks into fours or nines, then work with those larger blocks. I've also found laying the blocks out on my bed helps. Mind you I still have the same helpers who are willing to jump up on the bed too, just to help!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Oh that Molly is just too cute! Love the quilt Ellen! love sis

Barb said...

Your leftover quilt is really wonderful...I love the name it has been given.

Quilter Kathy said...

I just love these blocks! I have some double 4 patch somewhere...can't wait to see your layout!

Crispy said...

Beautiful blocks Ellen. I'm not so sure your bed will be puppy proof either LOL.

Crispy