Sunday, January 22, 2012

Friday Night Sew-In - January Results

Will someone please straighten me out!!
It was another wonderful evening sewing with my friends from around the world. It may not have been in person but it definitely was in spirit! Orca Bay is coming together slowly but surely. I thought I would have got a lot more of it pieced together but it is definitely slow going. I am trying to be careful but I am still losing some of my points - I don't mind if you don't mind!! I have some other blocks started too, they are in various stages of construction and they are sitting on my ironing table - just waiting their turn to get up on the design wall. I am a little late posting but I just could not find the time yesterday. That's me - a day late and dollar short - what can I say! Hop on over to Crafty Vegas Mom to check out what other participants worked on.

We were supposed to visit our son yesterday but schedules got rearranged and we will see him in the next day or two instead. So, what is a girl to do? I loaded up the car with a ton of fabric and visited my sister Cheryl in Toronto. She purchased one of those new-fangled cutters and we cut enough scrappy 2.5" squares and 2.5" hst parts to make a quilt for my nephew Norman...and then some! His quilt is going to be red, blue and neutral so those are the colours I focused on cutting.

Don't let my poor pictures fool you, those bins are 4.5" tall and there are thousands of pieces in them. I know that for sure because there are over 1000 neutral hsts alone. If I had not had the opportunity to have my sister cut most of the fabric for me (I mostly ironed) then this would have taken me many hours and probably days to cut. After all that excitement and the drive home last night I was just too tired to do anything but unload the car and read for a bit before going to sleep.

7 comments:

Christine L said...

coming together nicely... I thought of you while I wasn't sewing :( Had to work OT, but was thinking of all my FNSI friends. ;)

greelyrita said...

That really does look like a LOT of pieces for your nephew's quilt. Just wondering, after so much cutting how did the mat of the cutter hold up? Mats are expensive, blades get dull. I wonder how good an idea these new-fangled cutters are. There must be quite a bit of waste too, no? Are you sold?

Peg said...

Orca Bay is looking great - and points, don't talk to me about points! I say right along with you, if you don't mind, I don't mind! Sure wish I could discover the secret! And that really was a LOT of cutting - how nice to have the machine!

Cathy said...

I Love your Orca Bay. I lost some of the points on mine too, but they still look great. I have been coveting one of those cutting machines for quite a while now. But they are just so expensive, and then the cost of the dies on top of that.............. Every time I think about it, I come to the conclusion that I'd rather spend the money on fabric.

Quilter Kathy said...

I sure don't mind about the points! I try my best and whatever it is...it is!
Love the "quilt in the blue baskets" photo! So much fun to be had!

Jan-Maree said...

I am loving your Orca Bay -what is this new fangled cutting thing? that is a huge amount of cutting!

Connie said...

Your Orca Bay is coming along nicely! I have the die to cut HST's and I just love it!