Friday, January 13, 2012

Building My Little Houses

5.25" and 6.5" block samples
The block on the left is the first house that I made as a test for the "Build Houses from Scraps" project. I think the original houses are 3.5" but that is just too small for me so I resized the block to 5.25". I tried paper-piecing but I didn't like that the sky sections would have to be pieced together so I added them in one piece after the rest of the block was made. It is cute but still a bit too small so I tried again with a 6.5" block - it will finish at 6". These pieces are a bit bigger and I didn't need to paper-piece them. I originally thought that I would hand-piece but the cold reality is that I just don't have the time. The final version of the block is pictured on the right. This block is actually two versions combined to make one block. My first try on this block didn't have the roof sections the correct size or angle so I had to take the block apart and remake that portion. Even though I need some practice adding the outer sky pieces I am happy with the way it looks now so I have made the templates for the roof sections and the two outer edges of the sky and I have already started cutting fabric for more houses.  I have decided that the doors of my little houses will all be red! My plan, for now, is to spend time cutting the pieces to size when time is available instead of just cutting and sewing one at a time. Of course, as I am cutting for other projects I will also make sure I cut some house pieces from the scraps. 

I love these little houses and I cannot wait to start building my neighbourhood. Of course, because my blocks are bigger I won't have to make quite so many to make a good sized quilt. It is not too late, you can still sign up and build some of your own little houses but you better hurry because the patterns are only available until January 16.

12 comments:

Denise :) said...

Ellen these little houses are darling!! I can't wait to see your neighborhood either!! :)

Peg said...

Great little houses - can't wait to see the neighborhood as it grows!

vtquilter said...

Great little houses.... I've always liked the ones over at Bonnie Hunters site... they are just a wee bit bigger. Love the idea of the red to tie it together.

blauraute said...

Dear Ellen,
beautiful houses you've made. It's a good idea with the red doors. My houses will bee 5,5 inch and finish 8 inch. I have many scraps in black and white and I plan to make the houses in these colors with red roofs and perhaps the pieces in the corners also red. Next week I'll start buildung houses. This week I've finishes some Ufos and tomorrow I'll sew a dress.
Have a nice weekend and take care
Roswitha

Jan-Maree said...

This is going to be such a cute quilt. I love seeing all the little neighbourhoods grow!

Kelli said...

I love your houses Ellen! So cute. :o) What a great use of scraps, too. I love scrappy things.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I just love your little house! I am definitely going to make one, but not just yet. The house quilt is just too cute and i can't wait to give it a try! love sis

Kathy said...

Your houses are a very nice size. I really would rather make them a little bigger anyway. I love seeing so many bloggers making cute little house blocks. I just may have to join in the fun.

Charlie and Wendy said...

Your little houses are gorgeous, I love your fabric combinations.

Connie said...

Your houses with the little red doors are so cute! I like the bigger size you are doing too!

scraphappy said...

Adorable little houses. 6.5 inches is still a cute size, but should be a bit easier than the tiny size. The sky in two parts bothered me about the paper pieced pattern too, but I wasn't sure about those inset seams. Keeping all the doors red is such a fun idea.

Marilyn said...

Love your houses. I liked the idea of re-sizing them ! The "neighborhoods" are going to be sooo beautiful ;-)