Sunday, December 11, 2011

What Was I Thinking...Christmas Insanity?

748 Brown/Neutral Twosies
Look how many little twosies I made for the brown quilt that I decided a couple days ago to give to dear family friends for Christmas. I had started this quilt last month while participating in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and I thought it would make a great Christmas gift.

Thanks to Bonnie Hunter's scrap user's system I was able to pull all of these 1-1/2" strips from my bins and easily strip piece them and then cut them into segments.

I don't know what I was thinking that I could give this quilt as a Christmas gift this year!!?? - I must have been out of mind because this "only" made 748 two patches - only about half of what I need to make this quilt a decent size. Each block will finish at 8" so I need a whole lot of blocks - by my estimate I need 98 more blocks to add to the 32 that I have already made.

In reality, that is 196 16-patches and 196 4-patches that all finish at 4". I cannot see how I can get that all made before Christmas, sew the top together and quilt/bind it. Wouldn't it be great to have a clone to help me do all of the things I truly want to do! Now that some sanity has set in I know that our friends will get a quilt for Christmas next year instead of this year. Whew...I feel much better!

13 comments:

I Quilt for Fun said...

You just have to believe in Christmas miracles and determination -- and then resort to wrapping up scraps or a block and doing it after the first of the year.

It is absolutely scrumptious! Jan

Peg said...

You can always 'give' the unfinished quilt and take it back for finishing!

LuAnn said...

The quilt is wonderful. You could always print the photo that you have of the quilt so far and give it to them along with an IOU. Whenever you decide to give it, they will love it.

Brenda said...

What ever you decide to do, this quilt will be wounderful!!! 4 patches & 16 patches at 4 inches each...... wow. Beautiful!!

Kathy said...

The pattern looks wonderful and I'm sure it would feel great to have a jump start for next Christmas if you decide to save it! The pattern reminds me of something that I have cut out for a gingerbread Christmas quilt. I need to work on that!

Quilter Kathy said...

It is beautiful and I can really see how you would be tempted to push for a finish! It's hard when you have a recipient in mind to rush with it. Enjoy this wonderful project!

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Good luck - no advice - just good luck! and enjoy the process!

Christine L said...

You are determined and I like it! You will make which ever goal you choose to go for :) I love this quilt...so if you choose to wait till next year and forget who its for...let me know..I'll remind you it's for me :) *Wink*

Cynthia said...

Wow, that's tedious! But beautiful!

Cheryl said...

Good going Ellen! I was wondering where you were going to find the time when Christmas is just a around the corner! love sis

Connie said...

Now why can't you finish it in time Ellen??? Do you really need to eat and sleep :) Those are really some teeny tiny pieces....is that a Bonnie quilt?

Josie said...

If you want to be conscious on Christmas day... don't even think about finishing it! It's a case of don't do as I do.. do as I say here... I'd be tempted to go for it too!! ;))
Fabulous quilt and gorgeous colours can't wait to see it progress.

Béa said...

Very beautiful pattern and colours. Good luck !