Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Orca Bay - Week 5

This picture didn't help much either!
Yikes..they are sombre looking!










It took me a little bit of time, but I did it. I completed all 350 of the triangle blocks and somehow I've got 29 extras???? I counted them as I was trimming the dog ears and either I really miscounted or I made a bunch of extra hsts in the earlier step. I do know that I did cut lots of extra triangles for this last step and I have put the remainder into a bin specifically for 2" triangles. I figure that at some point these triangles will be exactly what I need for another quilt. Hop on over to Quiltville to see the progress other participants have made with their Orca Bay. I am looking forward to the next step being released on Friday.

The other night I had trouble sleeping so I headed for my sewing room and I started fiddling with this and that. I just didn't feel like working on Orca Bay so I ironed some fabric (I do not want to get behind on that!!!) and I started pulling out containers of blocks that I had made but never did anything with. I found these 6.5" crumb blocks and put them up on my design wall. I forgot how much I like them and I think I will make more because I do have a ton of bits and pieces waiting to be used up. I will add a plain sashing and voila!....I will have another quilt top.

Most of the cookies have already disappeared.
I made up a couple batches of cookies from recipes that I found on-line and they turned out really good. I was pleasantly surprised that they turned out so well and my family has been really enjoying them. I made both shortbread and Swedish gingerbread. The recipe for the gingerbread makes a huge amount of cookies (I figure about 4 of my batches) but I have only baked 1 batch so far (the rest of the dough is waiting for me in the fridge). Mine took a little longer to bake - they may have been a little thicker and they became nice and crunchy once they were completely cooled. I did not have golden syrup so I followed the recommended substitution. I will be baking more of them today as well as making another batch of the shortbread. This time I will double or even triple the shortbread recipe because it really didn't make a huge amount of cookies.

This will probably be my last post until after Christmas so I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and I hope you have a wonderful time spending it with family and friends.

9 comments:

Cathy said...

I like your Orca Bay segments. I'm really getting curious to see how it all is going to go together. And I really like your crumbs as well. Your cookies look yummy, just the thing to go with a cool damp day, and a lovely cup of tea.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

Those black/white triangles will sparkle in your quilt. Patience. And those cookies look good enough to keep eating. Merry Christmas.

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Well done on getting caught up with Orca Bay and will catching up on some of that ironing! The blocks look great - really interesting! The cookies look pretty yum too! I might have to try those recipes! Happy baking and most importantly have a very Happy Christmas and New Year.
Big hugs, Jan-Maree

Linda said...

Your triangles will be great in your quilt. I love your crumb blocks.

Kathy said...

How interesting to see your Orca Bay pieces accumulate. I am becoming curious about this mystery quilt. Your rainbow crumb blocks look very cute together.

vtquilter said...

Great job on finishing step 5! Love the little crumb blocks... looks like a quick quilt top in the making. Enjoy the cookies and time with family over the holidays.

Myra said...

You are keeping up well with the Orca Bay Mystery Ellen! Good for you!! Lots of little pieces... as per usual hey!?!

Your crumb blocks are wonderful!

Yummy looking cookies there!!

Have a great Christmas!

Susan said...

I love your crumb blocks and of course the orca bay pieces. Enjoy the holidays!

rubyslipperz said...

I REALLY like those black triangles! They are stunning. I can't wait to see what their future holds. =)

The "late-night-can't-sleep" sewing...quite a good show for middle of the night. I can't seemt to get the hang of getting out of bed when I can't sleep, and sewing. =) maybe someday?

hugZ,
annie
anniesrubyslipperz.com