Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Orca Bay - Week 4

Oh my I love those red strings! Don't they remind you of beautiful red flowers? I think I may have a quilt made of red string or red crumb flowers in my future! I also have a blue jean quilt planned using this design but I was having trouble finding what I wanted in the center of the blocks - I had been thinking red but hadn't yet found the fabric I was looking for. I think little squares of red strings or crumbs is the ticket! Piecing strings is an easy but very time consuming process for me - others seem to zip right through them. This time, instead of using onion skin paper I used construction paper that I got at the dollar store. I felt that there would be just too much waste of the onion skin with this size of block.

The paper size was almost perfect and I had very little waste! Just those little strips - and I also got some leftover pieces of paper that can be used for 3.5" paper-pieced blocks (maybe for my blue-jean quilt). It really wasn't too much trouble to remove it either.

One of these triangles is not like the others!
When I was trimming the triangles to size the ruler and I had an "incident" and after that I paid closer attention to the markings on the ruler. I am short one little triangle now but it won't take me long to make another. Hop on over to Quiltville and see the progress other's are making on their Orca Bay quilts.




11 comments:

vtquilter said...

Very cute blocks! Great idea using the construction paper too.

blauraute said...

Beautiful red flowers. I love these blocks.
Have a nice day
Roswitha

carolyn berroeta said...

Your reds are really beautiful.
Carolyn/France

Cheryl said...

Ooooh love those red blocks. They remind me of a bouquet! luv sis

Cherry Red Quilter said...

that red sure does look gorgeous!

Linda said...

Great red strings!

Quilter Kathy said...

I love your red blocks!

Béa said...

Very beautiful bright and bold red units !XO

Connie said...

Your blocks look beautiful and doesn't it feel good to know we have that step done!

Candace said...

Looking good. I was short one triangle also, but I tried the tip about adding to the middle and so it was repaired. I actually had a large strip in the middle so I slit it, added 2", and it was perfect. I was too lazy to unstitch a seam, lol.

Michelle said...

Your reds look great! I love the contrast the darker ones add.