Sunday, December 4, 2011

Fun & Games is Finished!


Horizontal view of Fun & Games - the chains are really vertical!
This quilt is what has been keeping me busy the last couple of days. I am so pleased with the way it has turned out! First off, this is the first quilt I have quilted using my new frame/machine set-up and it also has a different free-motion quilt design other than my usual meandering.


Still need practice but I think it turned out pretty good!
This quilting design just evolved out of my random practice quilting and I really do like it. The quilting is a little more dense than I would normally do on my sewing machine and I was a little concerned that it would make the quilt too stiff and not as soft and cuddly but it seems to not be an issue.

It has taken a little while to get to this quilt done - the top has been finished and ready for quilting since early November but I was waiting for my quilt frame/machine to be ready for use before I quilted it. When I was sewing the blocks together I was wondering if my colour selections were a little too narrow and that it would look blah but it turned out wonderfully warm and rich with colour! Fun & Games uses the Domino Block placed on-point and although my original design just had a plain border I am very happy with the addition of the checkerboard border. I think the checkerboard complements the quilt top perfectly. Fun & Games finished at 78" x 89" - not as long as I would have liked but it is what it is. I quilted it with off-white thread and it is bound with the same fabric used in the inner border.

The backing is a beige/tan paisley that wasn't quite wide enough so I added a pieced strip of fabric to the center using leftover fabric from the quilt top. Fun & Games will be going to my nephew Andrew and I hope that he enjoys it for many years!

11 comments:

Cathy said...

It is wonderful, and the quilting compliments it perfectly. It looks so soft and cuddly and warm.

Quiltbenaco said...

E' sorprendente con così tanti pezzettini di stoffa si ottiene trapunte così belle!
Ciao

Cherry Red Quilter said...

I love it Ellen - it is fabulous - and scraps! I love scraps! Who is this one going to? They are going to be very happy with it I am sure!

Anonymous said...

...nice job Ellen !! I love your new quilting design...perfect for a boy/man....another beautiful quilt !!! xo Glenda

Quilter Kathy said...

It's awesome...great finish! So glad you are getting good use out of your new machine!

Christine L said...

It is BEAUTIFUL! and Perfect for a young man! I love the border it sets off the quilt. Definitely fits its name! Congrats on a gorgeous finish!

Bev C said...

Hello Ellen,

Fantastic job on Andres's quilt. Just love the checkerboard design, it really sets it of. Congrats on the quilting, the perfect design.
happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Candace said...

Love the brown quilts, and your quilting looks great.

Cathy Tomm said...

Wow! The quilt has turned out great. It sure feels good getting it quilted on your new machine. I love the piecing and the quilt design you did.

Cheryl said...

Wow Ellen

I just love how this quilt turned out. The pattern is gorgeous and the colours work so perfectly together. Your quilting free motion is really wonderful i just love that it looks like some Aboriginal/Mayan type of pattern! Not that i know anything about those culters or anything. love sis

I'm Myra said...

An awesome finish Ellen! Good for you! You are certainly on a roll! ;)