Saturday, December 17, 2011

FNSI - Dec 16 Results

Ick...we got a small amount of snow last night!
Look at those boxers hanging on the clothesline...don't they look great? I made them all by myself and I am pretty happy with the result. The first pair I made took fooorrrrevvverr, but the other pairs have each taken less time. I think the problem is that I really don't know how to sew garments and the instructions that came with the pattern had absolutely no information about finishing touches. I didn't want to leave raw edges on the seams so the first pair I did an overedge??? treatment. I can assure you that there was a lot of seam ripping going on as I tried to figure out what to do.
Those owls are just so cute.
After I made the first pair, I came to the realization that using that method might result in the seams being somewhat tickley or itchy - I am pretty sure they would irritate the heck out of me.

So on the second and third pair I folded the seams on themselves inward toward the center and then sewed along the edge. I think it makes a better finish - if there is a "proper" way to finish them please let me know. I have left a small portion of the elastic casing open just in case I have to adjust the elastic once my husband and sons receive them. I had bought enough fabric to make 2 pairs for each (plus a little bit extra for my stash, of course) but after seeing them finished I thought I would let them try them on and then I will decide whether I need to make a smaller size. These boxers are really large - much larger than what I would normally buy in the store.

I didn't get to make any pj pants but I think I had a wonderfully successful Friday Night Sew-In anyway. Go here to check out what other participants worked on for their FNSI.

On a side note, my fabulous nephew Leslie just came back from a business trip to the States and look what he brought me....
Of course, only a quilter would be so happy to receive these boxes of color catchers. Unfortunately, they are not available in Canada. They will help prevent any future disasters like this one.

13 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Woohoo! New packaging for the color catchers sheets!
Great job on the boxers! I've never sewn clothes but they look perfect to me!

Cherry Red Quilter said...

You have done a GREAT job Ellen! When I learned to sew I was taught to zigzag the seams just like you did. Others who sew clothes and who have the correct equipment overlock the seams like you see on professional garments. Either way is acceptable. Have a look on the inside of purchase garments and see what they do. And again - well done and good for you having the courage. If you can make boxers you can make PJ pants -the only difference is the legs are longer!

Judee said...

Thjose boxers look great. What a wonderful nephew you have! Is he getting a pair of the boxers?

Josie said...

Wow!! They look like Haute Coture boxers to me!! All the really expensive stuff has enclosed seams. You did great! Now.. if you fancy making me some new knickers... it's size LARGE please...;))

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I just love the way those boxers are hanging on the line. You did a wonderful job making them. Love sis

Kathy said...

The boxers you made for gifts turn out beautifully! It's funny to see 4 packs of the new color catchers right there in your next photo. I just used one to get rid of a disaster on a quilt that had a burgundy stain from the binding on a cream backing. It took out every bit! Those are highly successful.

vtquilter said...

Great job on the boxers! I knew you could do it. I purchased fabric to make myself a little skirt... oh, maybe 9 or ten years ago. Still sitting in the bag. I haven't got the courage to try it yet.

Cynthia said...

Nicely done boxers! I'm impressed with your garment making. Your family will be tickled with them! (no pun intended ;-)

scraphappy said...

Handsome looking boxers (can't say cute when it is for men) Isn't it funny how we can sew quilt pieces all day long and then get confused the first time something isn't flat? The seams look great to me.

Cheryll said...

The boxers look so good... you should make some for yourself. They are great to sleep in in the summer! My daughters just LoVe 'em!
Merry Christmas :)

Linda said...

Those owl shorts are so great. Love them. Great job.

Susan said...

Great boxers! I love color catchers too! Glad you could get a supply.

Cathy Tomm said...

Good to see you made progress on the boxers. My mom just came back from the US and Asked for colour chatchers too. Ha ha