Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What About the Quilt Frame and Machine?

Recently I posted about my new to me purchase of a Janome 1600P and Little Grace II frame. Before I purchased it I had done a lot of research about the problems that are quite common with this set up so I was prepared for "just in case". Well it turns out that it was a very good thing that I had done all of that research. When I first brought it home, my husband noticed that it was quite wobbly and he discovered that the frame was not put together solidly so he basically took most of it apart and tightened everything up - it is so handy to have an engineer in the house, he can figure out and fix just about anything! Once that was done, I was able to try to quilt and I made this sample.
The Back....How Horrible is That?
Look how horrible it is! I knew I needed to adjust the tension starting with the bobbin but I was having so much difficulty. I realized that there was a problem with both of the bobbin cases that I received with the machine. No matter how much I loosened the tension on the bobbin case and adjusted it on the top I was having major problems. The bobbins didn't fit into the case properly, the threads were breaking and on and on. So, I took them to my LQS which just happens to be a Janome dealer to see if they could help solve my problem. I left the bobbin cases with the Tech Shop and the technician called me the next day to tell me that they were 'out of round' and that she had managed to get them back into the correct shape - best of all she didn't charge me anything and I didn't have to replace them. The next challenge was this
Cracked Track

Peeling Track

the tracks were cracked and peeling away. This was causing a lot of problems when trying to move the carriage when quilting - lots of bumps and jerking motions. I totally expected this problem and knew how to solve it. I had my husband buy some 1/4" stainless steel rods (they cut them to size for us) and my husband filed the ends, cleaned them up and then installed them. It only cost $28 and I tell you it was money well spent. My system is perfect now - I practiced with it yesterday and today and what a difference. I just need to practice a lot more and I think the best way to do that is to just quilt a quilt. I thought I would start with a free-motion meandering design but when I was practicing today I came up with this and I really like it.

12 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh wow Ellen! It looks like hieroglyphics! I think this will look wonderful on your fun and games quilt. How fun!

Nann said...

Whew! Glad you were able to make your new setup work properly.

Cathy said...

Quilting machines can be extremely frustrating when they don't work properly, and totally wonderful when they do. Good luck with yours. I like the design you have done here.

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Engineers certainly do come in handy don't they! I am married to one too. Love the quilting design. Really cool!

Candace said...

Wow, Ellen. You and your husband are an inspiration. I don't think you could have an obstacle you can't best. If you want another inspiration, Amy ( http://skattebo-skattebo.blogspot.com/ ) from Amy's passions has a very similar set up and I don't think that most people with the most expensive longarms could do any better.

Candace said...

PS She even jury rigged her own stylus set up for pantograms.

blauraute said...

Hi Ellen,
the last result is wonderful. Your husband did a great job for you.
Enjoy quilting and have a nice day
roswitha

susiloci said...

Ahora si te queda bien. Felicita a tu marido por su ayuda.

Ginny said...

Hi! I'm just checking in on your blog, because you left a lovely comment on mine, and I'm blown away by your story about this machine. You are so patient! I would have hit it with a sledge hammer early in the story. But you were so right to plow through and fix it correctly: you are going to make some amazing quilts with it!

Connie said...

Aren't husbands great Ellen! Now that you have the bobbin case working right and new rods your work looks great!d I can't wait to get my frame set up. Can you use your sewing machine without the frame?

Marianne said...

congratulations on your quilting system! I have the same machine on a start-right frame, and had issues with my tension at the beginning, but once I found information on the internet, I love it. So much better than trying to push it through the machine, and getting all tensed up. Have fun! Marianne @wackyworldofquilting.blogspot.com

Judiquilts said...

Hi Ellen, what a lot of projects you have!! Even though your frame system has been trying, once everything is 'twigged' there will be no stopping you. Ask me how I know! The wonderful thing about things that aren't quite right - you discover so much when you fix them, so that eventually you can deal with any problem that arises.

Loving going through your scrappy projects!