Joyfully sharing my quilting journey and other bits and pieces that make up daily life.
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
What About the Quilt Frame and Machine?
Recently I posted about my new to me purchase of a Janome 1600P and Little Grace II frame. Before I purchased it I had done a lot of research about the problems that are quite common with this set up so I was prepared for "just in case". Well it turns out that it was a very good thing that I had done all of that research. When I first brought it home, my husband noticed that it was quite wobbly and he discovered that the frame was not put together solidly so he basically took most of it apart and tightened everything up - it is so handy to have an engineer in the house, he can figure out and fix just about anything! Once that was done, I was able to try to quilt and I made this sample.
The Back....How Horrible is That?
Look how horrible it is! I knew I needed to adjust the tension starting with the bobbin but I was having so much difficulty. I realized that there was a problem with both of the bobbin cases that I received with the machine. No matter how much I loosened the tension on the bobbin case and adjusted it on the top I was having major problems. The bobbins didn't fit into the case properly, the threads were breaking and on and on. So, I took them to my LQS which just happens to be a Janome dealer to see if they could help solve my problem. I left the bobbin cases with the Tech Shop and the technician called me the next day to tell me that they were 'out of round' and that she had managed to get them back into the correct shape - best of all she didn't charge me anything and I didn't have to replace them. The next challenge was this
the tracks were cracked and peeling away. This was causing a lot of problems when trying to move the carriage when quilting - lots of bumps and jerking motions. I totally expected this problem and knew how to solve it. I had my husband buy some 1/4" stainless steel rods (they cut them to size for us) and my husband filed the ends, cleaned them up and then installed them. It only cost $28 and I tell you it was money well spent. My system is perfect now - I practiced with it yesterday and today and what a difference. I just need to practice a lot more and I think the best way to do that is to just quilt a quilt. I thought I would start with a free-motion meandering design but when I was practicing today I came up with this and I really like it.