Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Trimming those Pesky HSTs

Tedious!
Trimming bonus hsts is so tedious and tiresome but really so worthwhile in the end because when done you have these wonderful squares all ready to use in a new and exciting project. These black half square triangles were bonus hsts from my quilt Bella Butterfly. I had originally started trimming them when I was actually making the quilt but then they got put aside. I picked them up and started trimming them again quite some time ago and I worked on them a little bit and then they just hung around my family room for a long time until I finally moved them back into my sewing room - I guess I just gave up. Unfortunately, I totally forgot about them when we had black for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I thought I didn't have anything that I could use but look how many I had! I am really disappointed that I didn't get to use them because the whole point of making the bonus hsts and spending the extra time double sewing them is to actually use them. I found them yesterday (and lots of others) while I was tidying my sewing room and I decided to start trimming them again. Well, I very nearly gave up on them again because I found that even though I had a new blade in my cutter I just had to press so hard that my upper body started to feel uncomfortable...but I think I have solved my problem and trimming them just wasn't so bad after all. My solution is that I used a titanium blade in my cutter and what a difference. I bought these new blades to try out a little while ago when I had a 50% off coupon for our local craft chain store and it really made the job soooo much easier. I finished trimming all of the 2" black hsts and I started working on some others too. It doesn't look like there are very many here but I can assure you that there is a lot!

5 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Those little HST's hold so many possibilities! I will check back to see what you make with them.

Michelle said...

I find that making the HST's bigger to begin with and then trimming them down is better, then you know that they are all the same size.
You have been very busy.....

Connie said...

I save them too. Sometimes I wonder why but I have this thing about using all the fabric. They are great for rug mugs and small things like that.
Quilting by the River

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I know it will be all worth it when you see the quilt you make with them. I know the colours of these hst are glorious and bright with the black! You used such pretty colours in Bella Butterfly! Looking forward to seeing your new creation! Love sis

scraphappy said...

So adorable! There are so many cute patterns that come from HST units. It takes a long time to trim them down, but what a fun way to make something out of extras.