Monday, November 14, 2011

Too Many Projects

Leftovers Quilt
I have decided that I have too many projects on the go and it is starting to feel a little overwhelming. I need to make some time so I can make some Christmas presents and I also want to make a liner for Molly's (my mini schnauzer) winter coat. I also have a few other things that I want to work on but my sewing room has so many in-progress projects on all the sewing/cutting/ironing areas that it leaves little room for anything else. It is beginning to feel a little claustrophobic - does anyone else feel like this?? In light of this, I have decided that I am not going to start anymore quilts (except Orca Bay) until I have finished a few that I have been working on. I will be putting my Jacob's Ladder quilt aside for a short period of time so that I can focus on getting some finishes. I have several quilts that are very close to completion and I just need to focus my time on getting them done.

I am still working on my Leftover's quilt and I have quite a few blocks made. I really like the way this quilt looks and it is not difficult at all to piece together. I have all the pieces cut and I just need to sew them together. I don't think this quilt will have borders so it should not take me too long to finish. This quilt will be going to my son Adam - his birthday is in January and I would love to be able to give it to him as a birthday gift.

I recently started another quilt for this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge. At this point, I plan on working on it for just the month of November and then I may put it away temporarily. I will reassess this at the end of the month because I really don't want to put it away unless it is at the flimsy stage. I just don't want to have to keep track of any partial blocks and loose pieces and then try and figure out where I left off.
I decided to go with a checkerboard border on my Fun and Games quilt top and it is now finished and ready to become a quilt. The checkerboard border fits in with the theme of the quilt. I made the quilt top using the Domino block set on-point. Sorry my picture looks waaaay too yellow. My husband told me it was because the flash was not turned on. I have the camera set to "Easy" and I thought the flash would go on automatically. Not so - unless you have it set to do that. I have now changed the setting but I somehow doubt that it will fix my lack of photography skills - but I can only hope!
Fun & Games
I have already quilted "Gratitude" and I just need to trim it up and put the binding on. "Gratitude's" sister quilt "Courage" is all ready to be layered and quilted as is Roll, Roll Cotton Boll. I was hoping to quilt all of these unfinished tops using my new-to-me frame and machine but I am not ready to use it for anything other than practice. I have a few issues that need to be tweaked with the frame and I am hoping that I will be able to practice with it sometime this week. I will definitely save RRCB to quilt on the frame but I really can quilt the others on my Janome MC6600 without too much trouble if need be. I was just hoping to bypass the basting process - I may try basting them on the frame and see if I am successful. Now I really must get away from the computer and get into my sewing room!

8 comments:

Connie said...

I'm with you.....too many projects and too many more in my head! Sounds like you have several beautiful quilts to get quilted, maybe after Christmas you'll have more time to work on your new machine.

blauraute said...

Hi Ellen,
I'm with you too. I try to finish one quilt every month, but there are so many others things to do. I want to make some hearts, some stars, some gingerbreadmen and so on and so on. I want to knit and to finish the wallhanging with the redwork embroideries as soon as possible. You see, you are not alone.
Have a nice week and take care
Roswitha

Cathy said...

I LOVE your leftovers quilt. That one is at the top of my want-to-do list. I get feeling the same way, so many projects on the go at once, till I get to the point of not knowing which one to do and end up temporarily paralysed.

Cherry Red Quilter said...

I know what you mean about too many things on your plate - the brain gets scrambled and you just can't think straight! No fun! Good luck sorting your lot out!

scraphappy said...

I get that same feeling from time to time. Starting a new project can be contagious, and finishing is easy to get lost along the way. I'm in the same boat as you with a vow not to start anything new (other than Orca Bay) until a few get crossed off the list. The nice thing about having lots of projects started though, is that some of them are sure to be easy enough to finish and move off the list. Good luck getting the new frame up and working -- it will certainly help you finish up the quilting part of all of those tops.

Quilter Kathy said...

I know exactly what you mean! I have the same problem and sometimes it feels more overwhelming than other times. There's nothing you can do about it when you are creative and a quilting addict :) Enjoy!

Mary said...

Wow. I am so impressed by all your projects, especially your leftovers quilt. You are a very productive quilter. I can see why you want to take a break on some projects so that you can bring others to completion. Nice work.

Cheryl said...

Oh you busy little bee! I love your leftovers quilt! The checker boarder is so appropriate and beautiful at the same time. love sis