Monday, November 28, 2011

Orca Bay - Week 2

Yippee...I got all of my little string blocks sewn and trimmed. I actually trimmed them while watching/listening to the movie 'The Green Mile' on Sunday. My work area was such a mess as I made the blocks that eventually I ended up with just a little tiny part of the table to work on. It was overtaken by strings!
Removing the paper/before trimming









I used onion skin for my foundation paper and a small stitch length and I had no trouble at all removing it from the blocks. This paper is very thin and smooth on one side and a little bit rougher on the other. I placed my fabric strings on the rougher side and it helped them to stay in place while I was sewing. I removed the paper and lightly spray starched and pressed my little squares before cutting them to size. I found when I made the string blocks for RRCB that if I actually cut them to size before removing the papers they didn't measure up properly.
Switching to this ruler helped with the error of my ways!

Smooth trimming now!
The first block I trimmed was a big oh no! My first thought was what have I done - maybe I should have left the paper on as a trimming guide! I was a little bit worried thinking I had all these blocks to trim and that I was going to have lots of booboo's. After seeing the results from the first ruler I used I tried this one and .... whew....it worked out. I was able to see the measurements much more clearly and didn't have any more bad cuts. Check out Bonnie Hunter's blog so you can sign up for Orca Bay and join in the fun!

22 comments:

Bonnie K Hunter said...

Great blocks! And that Easy Square Jr ruler is MY favorite too! I like that I can see the numbers, there isn't yellow or green lines going in every which direction in 1/8" increments, and I use the 1/4" marking around the outside of the ruler quite a bit as a guide for trimming too!

So happy you linked up today!

Bonnie

Quilter Kathy said...

Your blocks look fabulous!

Julie Kaye from KS said...

I love how bright your blues are.

blauraute said...

Wonderful blocks. You are so busy and the results are gorgeous.
Have a nice day and enjoy the hours in your sewing room
Roswitha

Peg said...

Lovely blocks - like the tip about the onion skin paper and trimming to size, great to have in the back of the mind for future reference!

marcella said...

Love your blue string blocks! Congratulations on getting them all done and trimmed. I'm definitely going to try your trick of removing the paper before trimming.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Your blocks look great! Glad the second ruler worked out great. ~Jeanne

Cheryl said...

Love those blue strings! Really pretty and they will go very nicely with your little hourglass blocks!
love sis

YankeeQuilter said...

Better to have cut too large than too small! Great blues...

scraphappy said...

Great fabrics in your blocks. I use a little blue tape on my ruler to mark the line I'm aiming for. After making a couple of mistakes on the BIG string blocks from the last mystery I decided not to let that happen again. Your comment about having a tiny bit of work space left really hit home. I even went into another room for the tearing to get away from the fabric explosion in my sewing room.

Cathy said...

Looking good! I have square rulers in all sizes that I use to square up. I just can't figure out how to square up with those bigger squares! I leave paper on to square up. Maybe I should try removing first.

Alycia said...

Those are great blocks - I love the variety of colors! How was the Green Mile?

Sue said...

Your blocks are fabulous. I love the colours. I'm going to have a look for onion paper. It sounds interesting!

Mary said...

Your blocks are looking great. I'm not doing the Orca Bay mystery, but I'm interested in seeing how this one turns out. Enjoy!

Connie said...

Your blocks looks great and that is a good idea to wait and trim after taking the paper off. Now I'm wanting to get involved in the Orca Bay QAL! I have always enjoyed watching The Green Mile too, great movie.

Candace said...

Your little string blocks are adorable, and the colors are great.

Denise said...

Thanks Ellen, I love yours and also your rainbow scraps and leftovers quilt, and...ok all your quilt! :)

Susan said...

Your blocks look great! I think I will go back and remeasure, it makes sense that they may be stretched or distorted after removing the papers. thanks.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Lovely string blocks, and your hourglass are very nice too. Can't wait to see them all come together.

Rhonda G said...

Beautiful blues in your strips Ellen. I had to come on over to visit to see what you've done. Looks great!

Julia said...

Great job on your blocks. And I love your blues with the black and white hour glasses. Isn't it fun following everyone's progression on this Orca Bay!

liz said...

Good tip regarding removing the paper prior to trimming. I also gave my little blocks a spray with starch to make all those seams stay down. I think they will be easier to work with later on. You are so organised. I don't think I could have watched a movie at the same time.