Friday, October 21, 2011

Fun & Games - Indecision (Maybe!) and FNSI

Fun & Games
Fun & Games is now an official quilt top but I am not too sure if it is a finished quilt top. I really like the darker border around it but I think I would like the top to be a bit bigger. I am very happy with the way it looks otherwise so maybe I should just leave well enough alone. What to do...what to do? It is currently approx. 72" x 86" - really just single bed or couch size. I think I should have made it one row wider and longer. Next time, I will trust my own intuition more - I was thinking I needed more blocks but my husband said it was just fine and to just add a border and I didn't listen to me! How would a border of scappy bits look - like a piano key border or maybe a flying geese type border or maybe a border made with crumb or string blocks? I have the binding already cut and ready (same fabric as the border) and I may have enough made even if I add another small border. I am leaning toward using small blocks made of strings or crumbs but I have trouble visualizing how something will look. In the end, I know I will just have to go with it and see if I like it. I don't want to let this quilt top languish for too long so I will just have to do it...and as I am writing this I see that I have talked myself into trying the crumb/strings blocks!

This of course, ties in perfectly with the FNSI - I will be making some fun crumb blocks tonight as a test to see if they will work for another border. If you are interested in participating in a virtual sewing bee why not sign up here at Crafty Vegas Mom. You will be sewing along with many other women (and men) from all over the world - how fun is that! Join us....we can all use a little dedicated "me" time to do the things that make us the happiest. I also wish a very Happy Birthday to my sister Wendy today!

8 comments:

vtquilter said...

Hmmm. No advise other than to follow your instincts. It does look pretty as is but if you are not happy with the current and want it bigger...pretend it is a round robin quilt and come up with a pieced border or two! Either way.. it will be a beautiful quilt.

LuAnn said...

I love the quilt. When I look at it I see the light colored horizontal lines across the quilt. I think something pieced with the light color in the center would look good or any pieced border. I think the quilt is great just as it is though.

Cherry Red Quilter said...

You know what you need to do you just need to give yourself a little time and the idea wiill present itself - I do like the idea of the crumb blocks but I am sure you will work it out if you trust yourself.

Kathy said...

Your quilt looks wonderful as it is with the brown border. Then again if you want to make it bigger, I'm sure you will come up with some blocks that will extend it nicely. It'll be fun to see what you decide.

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Trust yourself, you know what you want! love sis

blauraute said...

Hi Ellen,
it's a wonderful top, it looks so beautiful.
Have a nice day and take care
Roswitha

Kelli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelli said...

Hi, Ellen! haha-I was blog surfing the FNSI links.. and didn't realize this was you. I kept thinking this blog looks familiar, but I didn't see where I had commented on any of the posts recently! Glad my head is attached or I'd lose it! haha I love your rainbow scrap challenge and the backing!! :o)