Friday, September 16, 2011

I'm Back and Ready to Go!

I am back from my vacation and all I can say is "there is no place like home".  We had such a great time and did so many things. We packed in as much fun as we possibly could - we drove at least 2600 km all over Nova Scotia but I think it really may have been closer to 3000 km.
We drove the Cabot Trail - Cape Breton Island  (unbelievable views - the trail follows the outer perimeter of the island) and the Fortress of Louisbourg (I must go back and stay longer at this fabulous historic site. We only visited for a half day but really it needs at least a one day visit.). We went to Digby for scallops, Annapolis Royal, Port Royal, Sheet Harbour (for geneology regarding my Shiers ancestors), Peggy's Cove and the Halifax area. We also went whale watching but all we saw was fog - disappointing! We met up with my mother's brother and sister and a cousin that looks quite a bit like me. If I've got the generations correct my cousin Debbie and I share the same great-grandmother (my grandfather and her grandmother were siblings) and we look like we could be sisters. I feel like I must go back again for another visit because we really did not have time to explore downtown Halifax as much as I would have liked to. Our week of vacation just flew by so quickly. There are other locations that we did not get to but that are very important to my family history...next time!

Fun & Games Partial Blocks
On our way home from the airport we picked up my puppy from my sister Cheryl and we also stopped to get my sewing machine. I had taken it in for some TLC while I was gone. I was way too tired to sew anything on Wednesday evening but yesterday I did work on the Fun & Games quilt. I needed to make 9 whole blocks and I got them all done. I also started working on the partial blocks and I have several made - I just have to trim them to size.

Today is Friday Night Sew In and I will definitely be participating! I plan on working on more of the partial blocks and who knows I just may get them all done. Why not join in the fun and sign up to commit to spending an evening at your own personal "quilting retreat". You will be working along with many other quilters!

4 comments:

vtquilter said...

Glad you had a great trip and are home safe and sound! Peggy's cove was pretty when I visited years ago.

Cathy said...

I'm glad you had a good time on your vacation. That's someplace I've always wanted to go, Cape Breton, that is. I'd love to join in on the Friday night sew-in, but unfortunately, I have to work tonight. Have fun sewing, and I hope you get lots done.

blauraute said...

Hi Ellen,
nice to hear from you after your great trip. It seems you have had beautiful vacation.
Enjoy your sewing room and have a cute and creative weekend
Roswitha

Quilter Kathy said...

So glad to hear all about your great trip! Great to hear that you had some Digby scallops :) You sure did pack in a lot of fun in a short period of time!