Friday, August 26, 2011

Garden Fence Quilt-Along


Garden Fence in progress
I don't know what happened - I was so wrapped up in making this quilt top and then I got stalled making the last 12 blocks - go figure. Well, I finally got them all done and I am adding the sashing as I go. My quilt is quite large at 8 x 9. It just felt so overwhelming to lay it all out and try to arrange the blocks ahead of time so instead I decided to just start sewing it together into pairs and then into groups of 4 blocks. I will just have to arrange them on the fly. Doing it this way will limit me somewhat with the final arrangement but it just seemed sooo much. I have all of the blocks sewn into pairs and I have started sewing them into groups of 4. I have to be very careful when pinning and sewing them together because on 2 of the sets my sashing did not line up perfectly so I had to take them apart and redo them. I am still loving this design!

While sewing I have been watching tv and listening to the coverage of Hurricane Irene. It is such a huge storm and I do hope that everyone in it's path does take heed to all of the warnings and evacuates. Sadly, I don't think there is any way to prevent property damage and loss but hopefully lives will not be lost.

12 comments:

Cherry Red Quilter said...

I often put my quilts together by sewing small units like blocks into bigger units - makes it less daunting for sure. Your quilt is looking lovely - I dont think you can go wrong. And I am with you re the hurricane - stay safe y'all!

Anonymous said...

Ellen ..."It is beautiful"...no one would wake up depressed or sad with a quilt like this one...what a way to start the day....I can hear the song "CAROUSEL" from the SOUND OF MUSIC or was it SOUTH PACIFIC ...I will have to go GOOGLE now....xo glenda

Anonymous said...

Ellen..."CAROUSEL" was a musical by Rogers and Hammerstein, one of many including "SOUTH PACIFIC" and "SOUND OF MUSIC" ....boy am I confused, but I do enjoy their music and the quilt is beautiful....xo glenda

blauraute said...

Dear Ellen,
your quilt looks great, wonderful colors.
I've seen the pictures of Irène in TV, terrible.
A nice and cute weekend by doing some stitches
Roswitha

Cheryl said...

Love it Ellen! Looking forward to seeing it finished. It is going to be the freshest quilt i think you have made. sis

Crispy said...

It's looking really lovely. I too put my quilts together in units, but usually as I complete each block.

Crispy

Beth said...

Your quilt will be beautiful. I love all the colors, and think it will brighten up anyone's day. And I hope those in the path of Irene stay safe as well.

scraphappy said...

Coming along so well, what a nice way to break the top into chunks. It does seem huge when all the blocks star going through the machinevat once. It is going to be beautiful.

Connie said...

It sure looks beautiful! Great colors and don't you love putting the final sashing on and seeing how it looks!

LuAnn said...

Your Garden Fence blocks are just beautiful. I have a stack of blocks to put together, and I think when I get to the final assembly I'll do it in groups like you are doing. Those blocks are pretty addictive. I really only intended to make 3 for a table runner.....My husband was in NC on business in the path of Irene. He flew home for the weekend and will go back tomorrow so will see it first hand.

Quilter Kathy said...

This is really pretty! I was so happy that I was able to resist this quilt along, but when I see your quilt, I feel sad that I didn't join in!! I love it!

vtquilter said...

What a pretty quilt! I did the join like that putting my X string together... but kinda messed up the setting! No such problem with your beautiful quilt!
Thanks for the encouragement..... I was able to get 4 rows of knitting done yesterday!