Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Fun & Games

Fun & Games - cutting and sewing!
Now that I have almost finished putting the Garden Fence quilt top together I have started working on this quilt again. I had already cut most of my fabric and sewn all of the 4 patches I need for the whole blocks prior to my little interlude with the Garden Fence quilt (I really need to come up with another name for that quilt). I have so many more male family members that I need to make quilts for than female members so I really do need to step up my creation of masculine looking quilts...but I really do like working on pretty, feminine quilts too!!

I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night - I fell asleep just after 11 pm but was awake by 12:30 am. I stayed in bed until 1:30 but finally got up and went into my sewing room and worked until 5. I went back to bed but still didn't fall asleep until after 5:30. Last night, I mostly worked on making block components but I did sew a few blocks together to get an idea of how I wanted to construct them. When I finally got up this morning and looked at the blocks I had worked on I realized that I needed to make some changes.

Fun & Games sample blocks.
I need to replace some of the neutral squares with ones that have a little more colour if I want to keep my neutral horizontal/vertical lines dominant.

Fun & Games design layout using EQ4
On second thought, it might be better if I just make some new blocks first and then decide which ones should be used before I start unsewing! I may still be able to use these blocks just as they are and space them out within the quilt top. I still have to figure out what I need to do to make the partial blocks that go around the outer edges. Math is not my forte - that is for sure (especially when I am tired)!

5 comments:

blauraute said...

Hi Ellen,
the colors you used are wonderful, I love those african darks or autumn colors very much. - I hope nothing happenend that you cann't sleep last night. I think you were excited with your new quilt.
I hope you don't awake tomorrow morning very early.
Take care
Roswitha

Crispy said...

Thank goodness you had something all set to go. I hate when I can't sleep (up at 3am yesterday). This is going to be a great guy quilt and I hope you don't have to unsew any of those blocks.

Crispy

vtquilter said...

Great colors and a very pretty looking quilt! Can't wait to see the progress on this one...but hope the sewing is during the daytime hours and you are able to sleep at night.

Cheryl said...

Hey Ellen

Fun and Games quilt is perfect for a guy and the colours remind me of Autumn! This will be a gorgeous quilt when completed. love sis

Connie said...

I like the colors - perfect for fall and men! Hope you start sleeping better.....look what you accomplished though!