Saturday, August 13, 2011

Flowers For Christine Redux

Completed Flowers for Christine
I made this quilt as a surprise for my sister Christine. It turned out great - until I washed it and the red from the border and binding bled all throughout the quilt. I was devastated but I thought I would give it to her anyway and explain what happened and how badly I felt about it. Anyway, after talking about it and asking for advice from Judy at my favourite quilt shop (Sew Sisters) I was given a bottle of Grandma's Secret Spot Remover to try. When I blogged about the catastrophe Kathy from Kathy's Quilts very generously sent me 3 Shout Color Catchers from her precious stash (they are not sold in Canada).


Spraying with stain treatment
 I added 4 very generous long squirts of Grandma's Secret Spot Remover to a spray bottle filled with water and sprayed the quilt liberally on both sides - I had to refill the bottle twice. I then washed the quilt normally and added a Color Catcher along with whatever was left in the spray bottle. When I removed the quilt from the washer it looked better but was still stained with red so I repeated the process except I added double the amount of Grandma's Secret Spot Remover to the spray bottle. I also put some of it directly onto the worst parts. I put it in the washer again with another Colour Catcher. The quilt came out almost perfect!!

Color Catcher 1 & 2
I am very happy with the result. The quilt doesn't look dingy and discoloured anymore and the red stains that remain are really very light. I will give my sister what is left of the stain remover and the last Color Catcher and when she needs to wash it she can pretreat the remaining stains (she will have to look carefully to really see them) with full strength spot remover. A big thank you to Kathy and to Judy for their help - they helped return the beauty to my quilt! I am doing the "happy dance".
Renewed Flowers for Christine - looking just lovely!

9 comments:

LaDonna and Diana said...

Oh, Ellen, I know how you feel...such a sinking feeling when you discover after all your time and work on a beautiful quilt, the color runs. I'm so glad you were able to get nearly all of it out. I use the color catchers too, but I haven't tried the grandma's spot remover. Did you prewash the fabric?

LaDonna

Kathy said...

That Grandma's Spot remover must be a miracle. I am going to pick some up at Hancocks. I am glad it worked so well for you.

Cherry Red Quilter said...

So glad you were able to save your lovely quilt - not sure we have Grandma's spot remover here in oz though we have the colour catchers. Aren't blog friends wonderful!

Crispy said...

I've never heard of the spray spot remover but those color catchers are a blessing. I'm so glad that the runs are almost all gone. The quilt is beautiful :0)

Crispy

Connie said...

What a beautiful quilt for your sister! I am so glad you were able to save it and that was so sweet of Judy and Kathy to help you.

Quiltbenaco said...

E' molto bella la trapunte per tua sorella,
sono contenta che sei riuscita a smacchiarla.
Sarebbe stato una grande sfortuna vederla rovinata per sempre....
Ciao

vtquilter said...

Glad the spot remover and catchers worked to get the fabric bleeding out. That is a beautiful quilt. Your sister is one lucky lady!

Quilter Kathy said...

I am so happy that it worked! The quilt is so beautiful!

mainer said...

Gosh, what a dilemma. Thanks for the good info - and warning!