Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Roll Roll Cotton Boll Love!


RRCB completed top

Oh my! I really like the look of this quilt top. I am so happy with the way it has turned out. At first I was a little concerned that I had used such a mish mash of pinks from barely there pale pinks to magenta to hot hot hot pink and as I was putting it together I was having a few misgivings. I kept thinking that I was too liberal with my neutral selections and that my greens were incompatible and on and on I went. Now that it is together I can truly say I love it - thank you Bonnie Hunter! I learned a lot making this quilt top. For instance, I couldn't understand why we were instructed to sew the inner border strips together on an angle (like binding) and pressing them open until I was sewing it to the string blocks. I then realized that there were already so many seams from the string blocks that we didn't need to add more to the mix. This quilt top is far from perfect, I have a few little poofy areas because when I was sewing the blocks together I must have been stretching/easing them together to make them fit and my vertical/horizontal seams don't all align absolutely perfectly but I am okay with that. Once it is quilted and washed it won't be noticeable. I also a had a little bit of trouble when I added the corners to the outer border. In the instructions, Bonnie warned to make sure we had lots of overhang when we added the borders so that we wouldn't lose our corners from the inner border. I thought I had left enough but only one corner turned out correctly - lesson learned. I am not going to change it because I think it looks charming. This was the first mystery quilt I have ever made (and the most challenging) and it will be staying with me! Now I just have to layer, baste and quilt it.

13 comments:

Cathy said...

Ellen, oh my, but it is wonderful!!!!!! Now I really won't to get mine out of it's box!! It looks fabulous!!

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful Ellen !! It looks very intricate and detailed...what a lot of patience you have...xo glenda

Connie said...

Wow, it is beautiful! I clicked on the photo to see it larger. Congrats and I agree that it doesn't have to be perfect!

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Ellen it is beautiful! I definitely think it should stay with you! I love the colors! you have done good girl!

Kathy said...

Your quilt looks beautiful now that the top is sewn together. Your have done very well. You SHOULD keep it for yourself!

LuAnn said...

It is just gorgeous, and I love all of the different pinks. Mine fits my king sized bed, but I think I'm going to add another outer border maybe 3" so it won't be too short after it's quilted. Congratulations on getting yours finished!

Quilter Kathy said...

It's amazing! I can't believe it was your first mystery quilt...you sure tackled a challenging one to start with!

Crispy said...

OMGosh Ellen the quilt is GORGEOUS!!! Bonnie always has the best looking mystery quilt patterns. It would be one I would keep for myself too :0)

Crispy

Cheryl said...

Ellen i love your Roll Roll Cotton Boll! It is beautiful, i love it! Can't wait to see in person. Love Sis Cheryl

Candace said...

Wow, it's gorgeous. And you did the big version, so you're my hero. I had some of the same problems, but like you, I love it just the same, and I'll bet you are the only one who notices, everyone else will just be wowed.

vtquilter said...

Great job and that quilt looks wonderful to me!

Brenda Kay said...

Gorgeous. I love the wide variation in colors it gives it just the right pop.

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on getting RRCB finished up. It is truly stunning! It wasn't an easy quilt to make, but it is certainly worth it all when you see the finished product. Way to go!