Sunday, July 24, 2011

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Red Update

I had been so busy working on my RRCB quilt top that I totally neglected working on the scrap challenge. So to remedy that I decided to cut some red fabric in preparation for a quilt I will be making a family member. I quickly pulled out my red fabrics and ironed the ones that needed it and I started cutting. I eventually will  need rectangles that measure 3.5" x 6.5" and I got as far as cutting the strips 3.5" wide but did not get any subcut. As I was cutting the strips I set the strings aside so that I could make more of these.

I made 5 last week and I added 4 more today. These string blocks will be used in a future project that I have an idea percolating for. I am not in a big hurry to work on it other than just collecting red strings to make more blocks. I still need to collect many more red fabrics for the quilt for my nephew so as I pick them up I will cut them into strips and make more string blocks from the remnants as I go. I will have most of the preparation done for 2 quilts well in advance of actually making the quilts - I like that! Hop on over to soscrappy's and check out what everyone else has been working on this week.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Those red string blocks are gorgeous! I love the way the fabrics look together.

Crispy said...

Red is always a good color :o) Do you just grab pieces of fabric from a bag or do you plan a little?

Crispy

scraphappy said...

Beautiful strings. Whatever they turn into it will be stunning!

susiloci said...

Adoro el color rojo, será una colcha preciosa. Nos leemos después de vacaciones.

vtquilter said...

Pretty string blocks. That will make a cute quilt. Don't you just love the 'helpers' in the sewing room. I have 2 cats that 'help' when I lay things out.

Connie said...

Love your red string blocks, I should have been making some too. I was thinking red/white/blue.

LuAnn said...

I love those red string blocks. I think they are really fun to make. Your RRCB is coming along nicely, too. It won't be long until your top is all put together.

Candace said...

Love your red string blocks. I'm going to use the other half of my RRCB blocks with blue string blocks. I hope they turn out as pretty as your red ones.