Sunday, July 17, 2011

Quilt of Valour - Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks


Pathways - Quilt of Valour

The next item on my list of things to work on in my sewing room was my quilt "Pathways". This quilt started out as a quilt for a family member but as I pieced it together I just kept thinking about our Canadian Veterans. Of course, this is completely understandable because the block pattern is called Soldier Star. I finished sewing the top together today and I expect that I will baste and quilt it over the next few days. I still have to decide which fabric I will use for the backing and binding so that may delay the completion a little bit. I would have liked to use some of the green fabric from the stars as the binding but unfortunately I don't have enough left. I really did do a good job of using it up - I only have a few scraps and squares left. A possibility would be to make a scrappy binding and use strips of the other fabrics in the quilt top...maybe. It's funny, I didn't notice that the bottom left corner of the quilt top looks like I have more of the lighter blocks concentrated there. When I was laying it out to sew together I thought I had the light/dark blocks fairly balanced throughout the quilt. I guess I must have switched some around as I was sewing it together. Oh well, I won't change it now.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

It's wonderful! I love it!

blauraute said...

Dear Ellen,
great, wonderful warm colors. It seems like fall. I love these colors.
Have a nice and cozy week
Roswitha

Crispy said...

Beautiful quilt Ellen. I like how the light is concentrated in a couple of areas, gives your eyes someplace to rest :0)

Crispy

Quilter Kathy said...

It's fabulous...it's a quilt that keeps your eyes wondering around and seeing different things...great job!