Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Heaven's Above it's Done!

Heaven's Above...It Must Be Love!
I sewed the last stitches in the binding and label last night. I really love the way it turned out and I hope the recipients will too. I know this sounds silly but I always feel a little nervous/unsure/insecure about making and giving a quilt to someone. I know this quilt is gorgeous and I like it so much I think I will make one for myself but I still have little self-doubts. I really need to get over it!!! This quilt really is a family affair - many of the fabrics used had belonged to my late sister-in-law Wanda and my mother-in-law and it was my husband that chose the pattern from a couple that I had shown him. "Heaven's Above...It Must Be Love" is a wedding gift for my husband's cousin's daughter Julie and her husband Rick - try saying that 5 times!

This quilt finished at approx. 84" x 100" and I quilted it using a meandering design. The only deviation that I made from the pattern was I added an extra row of blocks to the length of the quilt. I just felt it needed to be a little longer. I had a bit of trouble getting started with the quilting. It took me about 2 hours to get everything set up correctly because my machine was not stitching properly. I had to rip out my work twice and adjust my machine settings, change the needle, change the bobbin, rethread the machine, rinse and repeat until I finally got it right. Once I got it set up correctly it really was smooth sailing with the quilting. I think I had so much trouble because I had laughed at my sister Cheryl (the new quilter) when she called me and told me how much trouble she was having trying to learn to free-motion quilt - serves me right!

9 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Congratulations on a gorgeous quilt! I'm sure it will be well loved and used!

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Yes, you certainly do need to get over it - this is a gorgeous quilt and if someone isn't pleased, impressed and absolutley wrapped to get it then that is their problem not yours. I am sure the recipients will love it! I do!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Ellen!!!.....I kept clicking on your site hoping each time I would get to see the finish...it is beautiful just like the ones you made me...xo Glenda

Crispy said...

Personally I think it's wonderful and so will the happy couple :0)

Crispy

Connie said...

What a beautiful quilt! It has such special meaning with the fabrics from different family members and Julie and her husband are getting a treasured heirloom. You should be so proud of yourself!

Candace said...

What an awesome quilt. You made me smile, I am the same way as you about my quilts. Then I tell myself, I always wanted a quilt and had to start making them to get one, and they are getting one for nothing and I'm worried that it's not good enough. What is the matter with me, lol. So goes my self talk.

Rose Marie said...

Wow .... gorgeous quilt .... I love everything that you did!

Angela said...

This is a really beautiful quilt!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I just love blue and white/neutral quilts and yours is just lovely! The recipients are very lucky indeed!