Friday, July 8, 2011

Fisherman's Dream


Fisherman's Dream

I have been working in my sewing room but not spending any time sewing. I have been cutting fabric for a new project, cutting and sorting scraps and ironing!! My sister Cheryl normally irons most of my fabric for me but when she visited last time she helped me tidy my sewing room and then we worked on her quilt. I think the ironing party is all over - she won't have time anymore now that she is making her own quilts and I will just have to do it myself! So I thought I would show a quilt that I made for my husband last year. Judee from meinca recently showed some fish fabric panels that she had purchased to make a quilt for her husband. I had bought the fabric for my husband's quilt quite a long time ago...I can't even remember when but it sat languishing in my fabric pile for several years. When I first saw these fish panels I immediately thought they would make a wonderful quilt for my husband - I just didn't know what to do with them. When I was setting up my sewing room, I rediscovered the panels and thought that I had better get his quilt made. I wanted to use all of the panels, including the smaller ones, but I had to figure out a design that would somehow incorporate them. As you can see I used the smaller panels in the corners and in the center area between them I made bear paw blocks. Bears like fish don't they? - I figured the bears left their tracks behind! I also used a small check fabric that reminded me of a net as an inner border and the black fabric I used has dragonflies on it. I quilted in a large meander pattern with beige/black variegated thread - I thought it looked like fishing line all over the quilt. This quilt is not large, it finished at 62" x 82" - perfect for a couch quilt.

Fisherman's Dream Pillowcase
I had enough fabric to make a pillowcase too. I wanted to carry the fish theme over to back of the quilt but I did not have enough fish fabric so I bordered it with a stripe fabric of blue/beige. I love how it turned out and more importantly so does my husband.

6 comments:

mainer said...

That is a wonderful quilt! I love how you put the bear paw blocks into it. Mine is done and I will show it on Wednesday. DH loves it.

LaDonna and Diana said...

Sometimes it's hard to know what to do with a panel. You did a magnificent job! Love all the details!

LaDonna

susiloci said...

Un trabajo espectacular, una maravilla!!!

Candace said...

It is a wonderful quilt. My brother loves to fish and would love your quilt.

Crispy said...

What a great "guy" quilt. My son would love it as he is a real fishing nut :0)

Crispy

Connie said...

Wonderful quilt and perfect for your husband. There are some really neat panels out there.