Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Wedding Quilt


Hourglass unit construction
I have been working on this quilt exclusively in my spare moments over the past couple of days and I am making progress. There is a lot of cutting required. Normally, when I make a quilt I tend to overcut most of my fabric. I just keep cutting until I think I have enough and then add a little extra so I am sure I will have enough selection to complete the quilt. This time is different - I thought I had cut enough triangles for the blue hourglasses but once I started sewing them together I realized that I was not going to have enough to complete all 174 hourglass units.

Hourglass Units

As a matter of fact, I had only cut enough for about half of what was needed. So I started cutting again and when I stopped I thought surely I would have enough. This quilt requires 696 blue triangles for the hourglass blocks and now I am only short about 50. It is probably better in the long run that I cut in stages because it gave my wrists time to rest. I also cut the half square triangles (360 of them) for the wings of the flying geese units at the same time because they share the same blue fabrics.
Fabric Rejects
I chose a variety of blue fabrics for this quilt and once I started sewing them together I decided that some just weren't doing it for me so I had to weed them out. I will take them apart so I can incorporate the pieces that are useable.

4 comments:

Quiltbenaco said...

Sono i miei colori preferiti!!!!!
Ciao

blauraute said...

You used wonderful blue fabrics and you are so busy, are you working the whole night? I think your hourglass quilt will be finish a long time before the wedding will be.
Have a nice day and enjoy yourself in your sewing room
Roswitha

Crispy said...

Holey Moley that is a LOT of cutting!! The results are beautiful however :0)

Crispy

Amy (lilme2_99) said...

Whew...making great progress! Lots of cutting and piecing today. Your July deadline won't be a problem if you keep at this rate :0)