Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Busy Days

Spring Romance
I finally have something that I can actually blog about! My sister Cheryl and two of my nieces - Eva-Anne and Deanna came to visit for the weekend. We had a terrific time and boy oh boy it took me all of yesterday to try to recover! I had absolutely no energy left!!! My sister (the new quilter) brought her quilt top with her and we worked on it together. She had all of her blocks made and stitched together into a quilt top ready to have the borders added. So we spent some time making the borders and getting them sewn on. We also got the backing all prepared and once that was done we were all ready to layer and baste. Her quilt top is absolutely gorgeous. She did such a great job - her first quilt is going to be stunning when completed. It didn't take Cheryl too long to piece her quilt because she was just so excited about making it, so she was a little surprised about how long it takes to actually get it ready to quilt - adding the borders and especially the basting process. I showed her how I baste (I thread baste) and happily we were able to work on it together. She has taken her quilt back home with her and she will try to free-motion quilt it herself. I gave her some batting and fabric bits so that she can practice a little before she actually tries it out on her quilt.

Naturally, while she was here we went fabric shopping - again! She has plans to make a quilt for her daughter Deanna. Cheryl has already designed her own block, chosen her colour palette, shopped the stores and my stash and now just needs to decide which fabrics she will include in the new quilt. The obsession has begun!

5 comments:

Connie said...

Beautiful quilt and a new quilter in the family! My sister is starting to sew also and it is fun to give her fat quarters and batting to get her started.

Cathy said...

That sounds like so much fun. I've often wished I had a relative, or close friend who lived nearby to do things like that with. My daughter is here, but no where even close to being interested.

scraphappy said...

What a great quilt. It is so fun to hear about a new quilter excited about her first quilt. I hope the quilting goes well.

Cherry Red Quilter said...

gorgeous quilt and great colours!

Crispy said...

What a lovely quilt. She did a great job :0) You are a good sister to share you addiction with her LOL.

Crispy