Saturday, May 7, 2011

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Pink

Pink 2" Strips and Backing Fabric
I am all gung-ho this month for the pink challenge. I have written before that I am really quite practical and that if I am going to spend my quilting time making a project I really do want to make something that is useful to me or someone else. I absolutely love making quilts - they give me such joy to make. They may not be perfect and some may not even be beauties, but I do put a lot of myself, my joy and my time into making them. I do not have a need for a pink baby quilt at this time and I have other large quilts planned that are not necessarily pink so I have decided that to participate in this month's challenge I will make a pink baby quilt and donate it to Project Linus. I have been thinking about making donation quilts for some time and this seems to be the perfect opportunity to get started. I had intended on pulling out my pink bits and pieces of fabric today and to start sewing them together into a quilt top but I must say that I am totally overwhelmed by my unorganized, chaotic piles of scraps - they are taking over my cutting and my ironing space. I have made several quilts recently but have not taken the time to deal with the scraps and remnants that seem to magically appear when making quilts. So, once I have dealt with a good part of the mess, hopefully within a couple days, I will start making my pink baby quilt and I will have something to show next week. Of course, while I am sorting and cutting my scraps I will certainly be on the lookout for any bits of pink!

10 comments:

scraphappy said...

What a great way to use the challenge as an inspiration to donate to a worthy cause. Sewing for others is such a nice chance to go outside of our normal fabric choices. Your pinks look just charming. Can't wait to see them all come together.

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Sounds like a plan - happy sorting and happy stitching!

Quilter Kathy said...

Don't you hate that when scraps make a big mess in your quilting space?!?
Have fun with the pinks!

Angela said...

What a lovely idea. I'm sure the project will be delighted with the quilt when you've made it.

Cheryl said...

HI Ellen

I know its going to be a wonderful little baby girl quilt! The little girl or girls that get to use this quilt will be kept cozy, warm and loved by the joy you put into your quilts. Love the pinks and boy to i love that backing. Same one you used for Paytons quilt. Enjoy! Love sis

LaDonna and Diana said...

I know what you mean...no matter how much I cut into my fabrics, the scraps just keep multiplying! I think the fabrics you've selected will make a charming quilt!

Happy Mother's Day!

LaDonna

Crispy said...

Your plan for the quilt is an excellent one...I don't donate as quilts take too long to do by hand. I'm glad I have rediscovered knitting and I can make hats and gloves for the barrell at the food bank. Pink is a pretty skimpy color in my stash.

Crispy

Jeanne said...

I'm enjoying popping in to see the color challenges on many 'new to me' blogs. Keep up the great stitching.

Miss 376 said...

Those scraps always seem to multiply, no matter how many you use. Great idea to donate the quilt, it will make someone very happy

suzan almond said...

Happy quilting supplying all your family ! I like the sound of your scraps - like you I love using them, it seems so much less extravagant !