Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks - Soldier Star Update

I have been making progress on the blocks for my latest quilt top and so far so good! I had made the first four blocks completely so that I would have an idea of how they would come together but since then I have been working on just the hst corner blocks. As I was putting them up in groups on my design wall I was thinking that they would make an interesting block all in themselves. I am sure there is a name for these blocks - I just have to search around for it. This quilt requires a total of 42 large blocks so if I have counted correctly I still need to make another 15 sets of the hst sections. This is probably the most time consuming process of the whole block construction. I needed to pause my work on this quilt top so that I could get the quilting and binding done on my Baby Bliss quilt for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. So, I started working on it again yesterday and instead of making the rest of the hsts I decided that I need to complete all of the blocks that I have underway first. I think that will give me a better idea of the overall look of the quilt and I can decide whether I want to add more of one colour or another to balance the composition.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Ellen, I love it! The colours are warm and comforting. Perfect for wrapping up on a day like today..... cold and wet.

Cheryl said...

Hi sis

It just looks like a big ol mess to me right now. I know i will love this quilt very much because i loved the 4 12" blocks you had already completed. Cannot wait to see when they are put together. Glorious colour scheme. Love Cheryl