Sunday, April 17, 2011

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Purple - Baby Bliss

Baby Bliss for Lily
I have made really good progress on this baby quilt and so far so good.  I am very pleased with the way it looks. It feels terrific to use up some of those hsts but the top really is not baby-ish looking. The backing fabric I have chosen certainly makes up for that - it will be so cute! I did decide to go with adding the sashing to the blocks and using cornerstones instead of just long straight sashing strips. It gives it a little more visual interest. I planned on adding a border of the solid purple but the more I look at the picture I realize that I should have added the sashing and cornerstones to the outer edges as well. It certainly would have been easier to do it as I was making the blocks but I will just have to add them in long strips. Unfortunately, I won't have enough of the solid purple for the binding so I may use some of the leftover fabric bits from the backing I used for Bella Butterfly instead. I will make my final decision when I get to that point. This quilt will be going to my great niece, Lily, and she is just the cutest little thing! She was born in December so I am a little late in making this quilt, but I do have time on my side to get it all done because I won't be delivering it until May.

I am off to do some blog cruising to check out what everyone else has worked on for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

12 comments:

mainer said...

Lovely!

Recovering Perfectionist said...

Beautiful! I love how the sashing & cornerstones echo the lines of the block. You can't beat traditional blocks for those super-cool secondary patterns!

Miss 376 said...

Beautiful

Scrappy quilter said...

What a lovely baby quilt. Hugs

Cherry Red Quilter said...

This is a gorgeous quilt and a really nice way to use the HSTs. Just lovely!

Quilter Kathy said...

It's very pretty...I like the effect of the sashing!

Crispy said...

Lily is going to love it!! Baby quilts can be any type of quilt, they don't have to be cutesy LOL.

Crispy

Jacqui's Quilts said...

I really like the sashings and corner stones! I'm often tempted not to add those because it takes time, but I'm always happy when I make the effort as it usually turns out :-). Love the colours on it and it'll be perfect for a baby girl quilt. What would happen if you found a really pretty white and mauve/violet floral for a border? Or will that make it too big? It looks good the way it is too though. Great job!

Jacqui

Angela said...

It's so pretty, what a lucky girl Lily is!

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Baby Bliss is beautiful! Every little girl loves purple! sis

Lori said...

Taht is so sweet and not your typical baby quilt.

scraphappy said...

Oh, so sweet. It will be perfect for your great niece. Not every baby quilt needs to be pink or blue.