Sunday, April 24, 2011

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Baby Bliss

Baby Bliss - Basted
Since my last post I have added the sashing and cornerstones to the outer edge of the quilt top and I have it all basted. Wow - it didn't take very long to baste it at all! I believe the name of this block is Grandmother's Choice and it does have a very old-fashioned look to me. The block was very simple to put together and I think it looks great. I didn't add any borders because it will just be too big. I bought just over 1m of fabric for the backing so the quilt top can't be wider than 1 panel width and I am really cutting it close. I hope when I quilt it I don't run into any trouble - I am just about at the selvedge edge. The fabric that I am using for the backing is just so darn cute.

Baby Bliss Backing Fabric
I subscribe to my LQS Bargain Hunter's Club - which is a bundle of several coordinated fat quarters that is sent out monthly. I really like getting these because I often receive bits of fabric that I might not otherwise have purchased so it adds variety to my stash and it is always a surprise when I open the package. Last month, when I received my package it contained a bundle of really cute children's fabric and the last time I went fabric shopping I picked up some of it for the back of this quilt. I haven't made my final decision, but I think I may quilt this "in-the-ditch". We will see what happens when I actually sit down in front of my sewing machine. I still haven't made a final decision what I will use for the binding other than it needs to be purple!

I had a wonderful Good Friday, my eldest son, Adam came home for a visit. It was so nice to see him (I always miss him terribly) and it was wonderful to have my whole little family together for the day. Happy Easter to those that celebrate!

5 comments:

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Cute quilt back and love the front - really pretty

scraphappy said...

What a cute backing fabric. The sashing on the outer edges does a nice job of finishing the edges off without a border.

LaDonna and Diana said...

I really like the look of the traditional blocks. Lovely quilt and the backing fabric is so cute!

So glad your son was able to visit!

LaDonna

Crispy said...

That backing fabric is adorable!! Looks like you are going to have another finish very soon :0)

Crispy

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

You know i just love that backing fabric! Your Baby Bliss quilt top is so soft and lovely! Amazing what you can do with the leftovers. Love sis