Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks - Soldier Star

Soldier Star Blocks
Yesterday, I finished marking all of my sewing lines for the hsts and the bonus triangles. It did take a bit of extra time but I think it is going to save me more in the long run. I did it while I watched tv so it really was quite painless. I got a sheet of very fine sandpaper from my husband and I clipped it to a clipboard. I was able to fit 5 or 6 squares at a time on the paper and I marked my lines in one direction and just turned the clipboard around to mark the second set of lines - easy peasy. I sewed two of the blocks together yesterday and two more today. I was a little concerned about how the one on the lower left turned out. The background fabric looks quite busy but I think once all the blocks are made it should blend in okay. I guess I can always change it later if it bothers me too much. Just about everything has been prepared ahead of time so it really is not taking me too long to do the actual sewing of these blocks. For each one I sew together I am getting 8 bonus hsts and I am also sewing 2" squares into twosies as leaders and enders.

Bonus!
So far my bonus hsts are turning out accurate at 2". Normally, when I try to take advantage of the bonus hsts they either end up too big or too small and I have to spend quite a lot of time (boring!) trimming them to a standard size. I think this way may be much easier and less frustrating.

5 comments:

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Loving it so far - can't wait to see final product!

Cathy said...

Oh yes, those are wonderful, and the one background isn't too busy at all. It gives them texture and depth.

LaDonna and Diana said...

Good for you for going ahead and doing something with the little pieces, instead of tossing them in a ziploc bag for later like I do!

Lovely blocks!

LaDonna

Crispy said...

It sounds like drawing the lines worked very well for you....including having those bonus ones come out accurate. I would hate to have to trim them all up too.

Crispy

Cheryl said...

Wow Ellen

I am loving this block! It looks like it is a lot of work to do this pattern. I absolutely love the colour combo! I know that it will look even better in person can't wait for your next visit. Love sis