Thursday, April 21, 2011

Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks - A New Quilt

Fabrics all ready to go!
I have spent the last few days getting my fabrics all prepared for starting this new quilt. I will be making this quilt for one of my nephews (I have 14 to choose from) but I haven't decided which one yet. I have selected all the fabrics that I will be using and I have cut them into the required sizes. There are lots of hsts in this block and also an opportunity to make some bonus hsts from making the star points. I am following the method as directed in the quilt block instructions and cutting my fabric for the hsts 2-7/8" and I will mark my cutting/sewing lines before I start sewing everything together. Hopefully, that will help me keep the size accurate. I can do the all of the marking while watching tv. Once I have completed all the preparations it should be a snap to stitch it all together. This block is #172 - Soldier's Star and was designed by Carol Hopkins. I have decided to keep all my stars green and cut from the same fabric and I am using an assortment of brown/tan/rust/gold fabrics as well as neutrals. I think I will use all the same fabrics within each individual block but have each block different. I may change my mind once I see how they come together but for now that is my plan. I expect the layout to be 6 x 7 and each block finishes at 12". I am not sure yet what I will do for the border. I can make that decision a little further along in the process. I am getting excited to start sewing and seeing how the quilt will look completed.

6 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Don't you just love starting new projects?!?! I do!
I love your photo with all your pieces ready to sew

mainer said...

Looks like fun! Can't wait to see the progress.

Crispy said...

It's always fun getting ready for a new project :0) Love the fabric you have laid out there.

Crispy

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

I just love the fabric colour selection that you have made. Some of those rusts look like luscious reds. I cannot wait to see the pattern you are going to use! love sis

scraphappy said...

New quilts are so exciting. Looks like you have yours all planned out:)

Christine said...

Great colors. I look forward to seeing your progress. I like how you have all your fabric ready to go too. Great inspiration to get started on one I've been putting off ;)