Joyfully sharing my quilting journey and other bits and pieces that make up daily life.
Thursday, April 14, 2011
Flowers for Christine before washing
Last week, in preparation for my visit with my sisters I decided to wash the 3 quilts that I was going to be delivering. The first one I washed was Flowers for Christine and disaster struck! When I took it out of the washing machine I noticed that red dye had bled all over it.
It had totally discoloured all of the light fabrics on the front as well as the backing. Not only that, there were also dark streaks where the red border/binding had touched the surface of the quilt while in the washing machine.
I was so disappointed because this was a surprise gift for my sister and I was quite proud of the way it had turned out. I decided to give it to Christine anyway and explained what happened and how badly I felt about it. She didn't seem to care that the quilt was "really aged" before she got it and was consoling me about it. While visiting we also planned on going to Sew Sisters Quilt Shop (no affiliation other than I shop there!) to pick up a roll of batting and check out some fabric. Cheryl wanted to take Christine's quilts to show them - I was hesitant because I was feeling really bad about "the disaster". I am so glad that we did show the quilts because Judy from Sew Sisters may have the cure for the quilt. She gave me a bottle of Grandma's Secret Spot Remover to try and see if it will remove the trouble. She has had great success with this product and felt that it just might work for me. I haven't tried it yet because I want to somehow get some colour catchers first so that I don't have more colour bleeding to contend with. I prewash all of my fabrics and this is the first time that I have encountered this issue on a quilt. Once I do rewash this quilt I will update the results, hopefully, it will be a happy ending! Thankfully, Lucky Stars and Full of Wonder washed up beautifully and dried to a nice, wonderful crinkly texture.