Saturday, April 16, 2011

Friday Night Sew-In Results

Well, what can I say? What a mess...I really, really need lots of practice. I am totally embarrassed to show this but when I improve (hopefully it won't take too long) it will be a good reminder of where I started. I decided to practice my quilting using red thread so that I can show my lack of skill in all its glory. Some of this may be really bad but I do have hope that with practice there will be significant improvement. Time needs to be spent on a regular basis to make sure I do improve so I think I will make up a bunch of practice pieces and have them at the ready. Maybe, I will just practice as a warm-up before actually quilting something but, honestly, I need to practice much more frequently than that. I also need to have some pre-marked with designs of some sort so that I can follow the lines and work on control. Part of the problem may be that I need to be higher in my chair to see better. I am only 5' tall and I have my chair set at the highest level (and I sit on a pillow too!) with my foot pedal raised off the floor but I don't think it is enough. I hope I am not too optimistic and that I actually will improve.

6 comments:

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Dont be such a harsh ritic. I am just learning FMQ too and the key seems to be practice and more practice. Just keep going! Good luck!

blauraute said...

Ellen, I think it is beautiful and if you do it once again it will be perfect. Next time I'll try to quilt by machine to. I'll try Quilt-as-you-go, because there aren't so big tops. The blocks of my Rainbow scrap quilt will be quilted-as-you-go.
Have a nice an cozy weekend
Roswitha

Impera_Magna said...

Looks good to me even if you're just practicing... and it's a good idea to use a bright thread so you can see where you've been and where you're going easily!

Crispy said...

Ellen I think you did marvelous. It's like free form quilting and MUCH better than I did when I tried the first (and only) time. It's true, it will take lots of practice but I have seen wonderful things happen to others who put the time in. We'll be here to cheer you on :0)

Crispy

Cheryl said...

Hi Ellen

Really for the first time i think your doing great! They really are pretty quilting patterns and if i know my little sis you will be quilting beautifully with a little practice and persistence and a lot of patience.

shez said...

keep trying,practise makes perfect