Monday, April 11, 2011

Bella Butterfly - Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks

Bella Butterfly
Bella Butterfly is all done! I finished the quilting on Bella Butterfly on Thursday and I finished hand stitching the binding early on Saturday morning. (I tried to get a picture on Saturday but just was not able to.) What can I say - except I really love it. I love how wonderful the colourful butterflies look against the black background. Once the top was completed, I purchased the fabric that I thought I was going to use for the backing but then I saw this purple one.

Bella Butterfly Backing

It has purple butterflies all over it - what could be better!!! I still really like the fabric that I had originally purchased so it will go on another quilt. This quilt was really not difficult to make at all - the blocks were very simple to sew and because it was sewn using the stitch and flip method and I double sewed all the triangles I got a ton of bonus half-square triangles.






Trimming Bonus HSTs


Originally, I was trying to keep up with the trimming of these little triangle squares but then I gave up. I will work on them at some point during tv time so they will be ready to go when I need them for another quilt.

More bonus HSTs






 I will be giving this quilt to my sister Sandra - it is just perfect for her. The finished quilt measures approx. 71" x 93"and I free-motion quilted it in a meandering pattern with white thread. This block pattern can be found in Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks (vol. 2) and was designed by Darlene Zimmerman. You can see other blocks and quilts that were made from patterns in this magazine by visiting Tea at Teaquilts. I am all ready to start cutting the fabric for the next quilt that I will be making using another block from the magazine. Hopefully, I will have something to show soon!


6 comments:

Cathy said...

Ellen, it is gorgeous. So bright and cheery and happy. Your sister should be thrilled with it.

Quilter Kathy said...

Congratulations on a great finish! Love the backing fabric!

Crispy said...

Hooray for the great finish!! Your sister will love it :0)

Crispy

Kathy said...

Beautiful! Congrats for a super finish.

blauraute said...

I think your sister will love these gorgeous quilt very much. You are so busy in sewing and quilting.
Have a nice week
Roswitha

Cheryl said...

Wow Ellen i just love this quit! It is so pretty for Sandra! She is a lucky girl! Love sis