Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Green

I have a lot of green scraps that I can use up this month for the RSC. I have this pile of strings and I also have quite a few squares, rectangles, and various sizes of strips that I have cut from quilt leftovers ala Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User's System. I started following her suggestions about a year ago and I haven't looked back. At this point, I plan on doing several small projects throughout the month of March instead of a large quilt. I already have a green quilt in progress for Raven Stars Quilt-along. For my first project this month I am making water bottle cozies that I saw on Wanda's blog Exuberant Color. She has kindly provided a tutorial and I think mine turned out just fine even though my mitered corners are not as good as hers.

Water Bottle Cozies
 
 I really like the idea of these cozies because when I go out with my sisters we often use the same type of water bottle and this will make identifying each one alot easier. I made mine using some of my green strings but it really did not take up too many of them. I plan on making a few more but I need to buy some velcro for the closures. I already quilted one of these cozies but I think this may be an opportunity for me to practice some free-motion quilting other than meandering....maybe!

I sprained my left index finger today and it is quite swollen just before the first joint so it makes bending my finger and well ...just using my finger difficult. Thankfully it is my left hand and not my right hand as I am right-handed so I am now off to try and do some hand-quilting on my green Seven Sisters quilt.

9 comments:

Connie said...

You have lots of green scraps! I have been trying to organize mine too and am planning to also work on some small things in green this month. I love Wanda's blog and plan on making some of her bottle cozies and journals. Have fun!

Miss 376 said...

What a great idea. Hope the finger heals soon

Angela said...

What a lovely idea! And such a great way to use some of those scraps

Crispy said...

What a great idea!!

Crispy

scraphappy said...

What a sweet way to use up some of those green strings. Looks like you've got plenty of fabric ready to start making cozies for everyone you know:) Hope the finger is better soon, quilters need to have 10 working digits.

Kathy said...

I really like your idea about using the Rainbow scraps to make the drink cozy wraps! And thank you for the funny comment about my scrap holding froggy! I am still laughing!!! We'll see if get those scraps sewn. I hope there will be more.

Elly D said...

Great idea of using your green scraps to make a water bottle cosy, thank you. I love how both are green and yet both are totally different greens :) I hope your finger heals up soon. Ellyx

desertskyquilts said...

Those cozies are great. Wish I had that many green scraps. Hope your finger is already healing, no longer swollen.

Barbara J said...

Thank you for coming by blog Ellen. Those are lovely cozies. Like those colours.