Monday, March 28, 2011

Full of Wonder is Wonderful!

Full of Wonder
I finally finished stitching the binding down on this quilt last night. I am so happy with the way this quilt looks now. I am so glad I took the time to remove the original border from the quilt top....it looks so much better and I feel really great giving it to my sister Christine. I know she will love it too! Making this quilt was a bit of a saga but all is well that ends well. When I first saw the pattern in the magazine, I had earmarked it to make for myself but when Christine was looking at patterns for her quilt she just kept going back to it. Well, what could I do except make it for her! The only real request she had was to somehow have hummingbirds on it. The inspiration fabric that was originally chosen for the border did not have hummingbirds nor did any of the other fabrics so naturally I had to go shopping with my sisters.


hummingbird backing

close up of backing











Sandra first saw the navy blue hummingbird fabric but I wasn't too sure about it so we left it at the store. After thinking about it, I realized that it was just what was needed so we made another visit to the shop. Luckily it was still there so I picked it up and I really can't be happier with it. The finished quilt measures approx. 77" x 96" and I free-motion quilted it in a meander pattern using silvery-gray thread. I bound it with one of the red fabrics used in the quilt top.

4 comments:

Cherry Red Quilter said...

Love this quilt. And the hummingbirds on the back...gorgeous!

Cathy said...

It is lovely, Ellen. She should be so pleased with it. I love the humming birds fabric

Cheryl said...

Wow! Christine is going to love this quilt! Truly Full of Wonder! She will revell in the hummingbird backing too! Love sis

Crispy said...

Wow Ellen this quilt is beautiful, your sister will cherish it!!

Crispy